U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,614 times

Advertisements

Depends in what I'm cooking.

Olive oil and butter, coconut oil, lard, tallow or duck fat, avocado oil, and ghee are what I primarily use.

My husband's cholesterol levels actually markedly improved when I got him to stop eating so much processed stuff and to quit using canola and margarine, low fat this and that and we switched to more whole foods and healthful saturated fats in moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,329,796 times
I use butter mostly.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 AM

11,824 posts, read 7,699,774 times
Rice Bran Oil for general light sautee and stir fry. High heat fry I use coconut oil and Peanut.

EV Olive oil for salads never for cooking. Wasteful if you cook with heat.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:43 AM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have used Canola oil for 4 years or so and I was just waiting for the bad rap to begin. So now I am hearing one bad thing after another about using Canola oil. At first it was touted as the best thing that came along in a long time. But if the bad stuff is true about using Canola oil then what alternative is there. They say that olive oil isn't really good for cooking but is good for adding to salads etc. Vegetable oil is supposedly too processed to be good for ones health. Then there is good ol' butter. Maybe that's the answer, the thing to use. What about lard? Any suggestions?

Honestly, I don't know what to use any longer. I once used Canola for every day baking, cooking and frying. Extra Virgin Olive oil for salad dressings, Mediterranean and other ethnic foods.

I'm thinking of trying Walnut. But I am open to suggestions.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:58 AM

553 posts, read 738,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Yes, but the promotion of moderation is so mundane. I want a crisis!
The non plus ultra answer!!!

Just noticed this is the Food & Drink Forum. I came here from a side entrance like I said. I visited once before and was so put off with the "Chili" recipes and remarks . . . I Banned Myself!!!

Thanks for the first good laugh of my day . . .which proves once again there's no accounting for taste.

Rust

Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM

5,165 posts, read 10,479,013 times
Avocado oil !

Old 05-01-2014, 01:18 PM

6,945 posts, read 8,878,222 times
For the complete lowdown on fats, may I suggest you read Michael Barbee's Politically Incorrect Nutrition? The author actually sat down and read all those studies on nutrition that you always see quoted in books and magazines. He says a lot of them have been wildly misinterpreted, including the Framingham study that "proved" saturated fats kill you and unsaturated ones are great for you. It is not that simple. I think, for instance, that it was in this book that I learned that "canola" or rapeseed poil has NEVER been tested on humans to see what its effects really are. Trans fats are the worst of all, of course.

I see no practical way of using lard in a salad, but (at least according to Barbee's book) any oil that is liquid at room temperature and NOT damaged by heat is OK for you, the monounsaturates like peanut oil being the best. People destroy the benefits of the liquid oils by A) eating waaaaay too many of them and B) heat-damaging them in the fryer or stovetop. Lard or coconut oils are better for baking and pan-frying because they are not easily damaged even at high temperatures.

(Please note that peanut oil specifically is pressed out of seeds that are absolutely nuked with pesticides, so if you can find it in a bottle marked certified organic you're likely to be in a lot better shape as far as food safety goes.)

Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,148,666 times
I'm struggling with this issue right now myself, so am glad someone asked this question.

I looked at coconut oil....expensive!

Had decided on either peanut or grapeseed until I read the above post. Wouldn't all of the oils mentioned have pesticide residue in them unless they were certified organic? And so then again....expensive!

I tried corn oil a couple of years ago because I read it made the best french fries. We didn't like it, but I can't remember why.

I'm going to give lard a try for deep frying if I can find it. I haven't had the time to look....lately I've just been making fast runs into the grocery store, and haven't had time to go to Wal-Mart.

(Before the food police jump me, be aware that lard has been vindicated of late in the "health wars".)

Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,711,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Honestly, I don't know what to use any longer. I once used Canola for every day baking, cooking and frying. Extra Virgin Olive oil for salad dressings, Mediterranean and other ethnic foods.

I'm thinking of trying Walnut. But I am open to suggestions.
I've used walnut. I liked it just fine.

I use EVOO. I don't really fry much.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:31 PM

10,543 posts, read 4,678,347 times
I just use butter. Then again, I don't cook often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or