U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:53 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,043,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
It also creates trans fat which of course equals BAD, BAD, BAD!

This is also why "refined" oils like refined coconut oil aren't good... when they "refine" them, they heat them to temperatures that creates trans fats. Same thing when they "deodorize" canola oil. There was a study conducted by a research scientist at a university (I want to say in Florida if I remember correctly) where they tested canola oil from various grocery stores for trans fat. It all had trans fat! due to how it is processed.
I don't buy refined coconut oil myself, but I haven't seen trans fats listed on any of the refined and non-hydrogenated brands I've looked at (yes, I'm weird and like to browse labels in shops). I know if it's been hydrogenated that it would have trans fats to look out for, but just refining it doesn't create synthetic trans fats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:00 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,414,906 times
It isn't the oil that hurts you, its not being able to stop eating everything you fry, grill or bake it in that hurts you.

There aren't ten people in the USA since there was a USA that died because of eating fat, cooking with any kind of oil (except maybe crude or engine oil). There hasn't been even one. People died because they used shovels for spoons, had mouths like the Lincoln Tunnel and stomachs like the Grand Canyon and shoveled, poured and stuffed everything and anything into them to excess.

Transfats haven't killed anyone either. Eating too much food with transfats may have.

In this country, we jump from what is good today to what is bad today and if that isn't enough, we say what was bad last year is now good but only until someone says its bad again.

We've come up with pie charts, pyramids and everything in between and have a Surgeon General to tell us that smoking is bad for us but none of can figure out that animals run away from smoke but we figure out ways to not only make it but inhale it too. Then we want to blame the people making it instead of ourselves for inhaling it.

The other day I overheard (because the woman was talking loudly) a mother telling her barely walking daughter, "no honey, that is too much protein, we already have some in the bag". This is how we are teaching our kids to become anal about everything when it comes to food. I bet if that little girl licked an ice cream cone they'd rush her to the hospital for vanilla bean poisoning.

Last edited by Mack Knife; 05-04-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 11:40 AM

642 posts, read 912,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I don't buy refined coconut oil myself, but I haven't seen trans fats listed on any of the refined and non-hydrogenated brands I've looked at (yes, I'm weird and like to browse labels in shops). I know if it's been hydrogenated that it would have trans fats to look out for, but just refining it doesn't create synthetic trans fats.
You won't see trans fat listed. That was why the study on Canola Oil was done. It's hidden trans fat. They get away with it because it doesn't have trans fat BEFORE they process it. However, after they do, it does have trans fat.

It's another good reason to avoid canola oil as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or