U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:24 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,394,540 times

Advertisements

I buy good lean beef (like sirloin) to feed through my Kitchenaid but I have found that if the meat doesn't have enough fat in the meat, the ground meat doesn't want to feed through my grinder parts very well, so then I have to put a bit of the fat I've cut off the meat through the grinder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 AM

11,701 posts, read 16,457,103 times
I normally add about 1/4 to 1/3 or pork to beef. The only problem I run into is tissue wrapping itself around the blade.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM

11,416 posts, read 13,961,436 times
I have in the past and used chuck steaks or round steaks.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM

17,161 posts, read 22,182,489 times
below is a little powerhouse meat grinder- only 65.00 and free shipping,, from ebay
it looks like a toy, but it can grind a bone in chicken leg..its that strong-

these are perfect to grind your own steaks, roasts, ground pork, wild game,, buy bnls chicken breasts and grind them, also good for fresh cat food...from meats
they are loud, but powerful..

i dont sell these grinders on ebay, just that they work well for being so cheap (i use industrial ones at work, so i know what a powerful grinder is )

Meat Grinder Electric 2 6 HP 2000 Watt Industrial Meat Grinder Butcher Shop New | eBay

Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,813,014 times
I would but my Kitchen Aid always seems to hang up with the shiny stringy stuff, it doesn't grind smoothly, I have to constantly clean out behind the plates. Any advice?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I normally add about 1/4 to 1/3 or pork to beef. The only problem I run into is tissue wrapping itself around the blade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I buy good lean beef (like sirloin) to feed through my Kitchenaid but I have found that if the meat doesn't have enough fat in the meat, the ground meat doesn't want to feed through my grinder parts very well, so then I have to put a bit of the fat I've cut off the meat through the grinder.
Maybe these are the answer...hmmmmm

Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
below is a little powerhouse meat grinder- only 65.00 and free shipping,, from ebay
it looks like a toy, but it can grind a bone in chicken leg..its that strong-

these are perfect to grind your own steaks, roasts, ground pork, wild game,, buy bnls chicken breasts and grind them, also good for fresh cat food...from meats
they are loud, but powerful..

i dont sell these grinders on ebay, just that they work well for being so cheap (i use industrial ones at work, so i know what a powerful grinder is )

Meat Grinder Electric 2 6 HP 2000 Watt Industrial Meat Grinder Butcher Shop New | eBay
I have a meat grinder attachment that I will try, don't want to invest in another.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:03 PM

21,003 posts, read 25,765,271 times
I was given a meat grinder for Christmas two years ago, so my family grinds all of whatever ground meat we want.

I use a whole boneless beef shoulder for ground beef (that's the chuck), I buy good quality meat and it comes out completely different from what you buy in the supermarket. You'd never guess it is the same thing. It's like eating a steak for the flavor.

Cost? I just bought an Angus shoulder, 28.44 pounds for $2.85 a pound ($81.05 total). I can buy what my family calls "Road kill burger" for $2.60 a pound. I can buy good quality burger for about $5 a pound. My home ground is better than the $5 burger.

It contains no scraps or odd pieces, there is no pink slime, there are no odd bits. It doesn't have whatever the market is putting on the meat to make it look red. It is pure muscle meat, and I've seen every bit of it that goes through the grinder. There is no germ issue. I can rinse off the outside and everything inside is sterile. There are no workers who haven't washed their hands contaminating a vat of 5,000 pounds of burger.

For leaner, you can grind round, or do part round and part chuck.

I also grind a lot of pork, usually fresh ham, (back leg). Pork shoulder is what I use for sausage. The fresh ham is what I make a lot of dog food out of, because it is relatively inexpensive.

I make home made chorizo and sometimes use beef and sometimes use pork.

For pork, it goes through the grinder better when it is really cold. I cut it into strips and it goes into the freezer until it is chilled to the point of a few ice crystals forming. Beef grinds Ok, either way, but slightly easier if it is chilled.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:21 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,148,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
You can.

Or you can grind in some pork butt, belly, or even bacon.
Mmmmm, sounds delicious....a hamburger patty with bacon ground into it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or