Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,556 times

Advertisements

My supervisor thought it would be a great idea to have our team have a Cinco De Mayo potluck... which I do think would be fun. However, I am really stuck on what to make/bring. Normally for potlucks, I bring side dishes (ie: a buffalo chicken dip) or dessert (ie: fudge) but those aren't well themed for Cinco De Mayo. Any ideas/suggestions for side dishes/desserts? I appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
They're probably looking for stereotypical "Mexican" fare. Similar to what you normally make, there are recipes out there for Mexican chocolate cookies that have cinnamon and cayenne in them. My sister makes a really easy taco dip--you mix a packet of taco seasoning with two packages of cream cheese, spread it in a 9 x 13 pan and top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cheese, whatever else you'd put on a taco and serve with chips.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Here are some ideas:

A traditional seven layer dip with chips, queso in a crock pot, Southwest salad and chipotle ranch dressing, guacamole and chips.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 AM

23,519 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Mini-tacos, guacamole with chips. some good salsa, etc

Old 05-03-2014, 09:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Pan dulce.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
If you want to do a side, you can't get much easier than a black bean & corn salad. You could even throw in quinoa if you want to make it even heartier.

If you want to do dessert, you could make Mexican wedding cookies or Chile Chocolate Brownies

Old 05-03-2014, 11:52 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,560 times
Rotel dip
Guacamole and chips
Grilled corn on the cob Mexican style
Margaritas

You could also do a taco bar. Crockpot and shred a huge roast, season with Mexican seasonings, and have an assortment of sides. You could do the same with nachos but crockpot ground beef.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:48 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
If you want to do an entree dish, you could do what I'm going for our Cinco de Mayo potluck ... tossing a bag of frozen chicken in the crock pot, sprinkling an envelope of taco seasoning, a can of black beans, a can of corn, a jar of salsa, and setting it on low late on Sunday night. When I get up Monday morning, I'll shred the chicken, take it to the office and put it on the warm setting until lunch.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
I'd make chilaquiles. It can be a vegetarian entree (if using veg broth/no chicken, but I wouldn't skip the crema) or a side so everyone can try a little. Somebody always takes the leftovers home because once they've tried it, they love it.

Most non-Mexican Americans have an extremely limited vocabulary on what "Mexican food" is, so I usually try to do something different than the regular stuff. One easy idea, no cooking, is a jicama/cilantro slaw. Here's an Americanized version courtesy of Bobby Flay. People will be impressed, trust me.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:33 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I'd do enchiladas or pork adobo (if I were feeling rich).

However, if you are willing to put in some time chopping, chopping, chopping, you can make a fresh tomato salsa and take that and some tortilla chips. I guarantee it will get eaten.

Somewhere between 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch cubes, fresh tomatoes. You can use Roma tomatoes for this and they are usually cheaper and often better. Dice up some fresh cilantro into it. Chop an onion so fine that it is practically mush. (add some green onion rings for color, if you'd like), dice canned green chilies, the long green kind, not hot ones. Give it a squeeze of fresh lime juice and salt to taste. Make sure all the tomato juice makes it into the salsa.

Sorry, it just does not come out as well in a food processor. The chunkiness is mandatory, so salsa gets hand cut.

Use Juanitas tortilla chips if they happen to be available in your area.

There is a cabbage salsa which is wonderful. Many recipes are on line if you want to try that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink