U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:43 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times

Advertisements

I prepare it 2 ways
Directly on the grill ( no husk) brush a little olive oil.
No husk in the microwave covered for 6-7 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 PM

5,466 posts, read 2,308,781 times
You're all missing the best way to eat corn. My favorite is fried corn. Cut the corn in thirds and put them in the fryolator. Fry until slightly brown. YUM

It's a south'rn thang.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
OK Tex Mex time - around here, roasted corn is DA BOMB. You can find roasted corn trucks at many sporting events, flea markets, etc. They roast the corn, and then peel the husk back, and dip the whole thing down in melted butter. Then there is a table of all sorts of condiments - chili powder, parmesan cheese, lemon pepper seasoning, cajun spices, hot sauce, mayo (believe it or not, mayo topped with parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of Tony's Cajun spices is FABULOUS!) - you name it, the spices and toppings are there - even ranch dressing - LOL!

OMG this is good. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I steam them a quick and dirty way... put a shallow layer of water in the bottom of a big pot, put the corn in, usually broken in half, and put the lid on and let it steam away. As soon as I see the corn turn bright yellow, I take them out and roll them in real butter (organic and from grass fed cows) and a little sea salt. One of the best parts of summer!

I refuse to buy GMO corn also. I buy only organic or I buy from a trusted source that is like-organic that does not use GMO seed. I think it makes a huge difference on taste.
the corn we see today had been gentically modified for thousands of years,,,,,most of the veggies today have been modified,,organic or not..

Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,719,411 times
Boil it, then slather it with butter, then sprinkle with parmesan and cajun seasoning!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 PM

642 posts, read 908,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the corn we see today had been gentically modified for thousands of years,,,,,most of the veggies today have been modified,,organic or not..
No, in all due respect, this is not at all true. It is propaganda spread around by Monsanto and other biotech companies that would like us all to believe this.

There is a HUGE difference between artificial selection and the genetic modification they do with GMOs. This is the root of the confusion.

What we've been doing for thousands of years is artificial selection.

Genetically modified foods have only been around a very short time.

Artificial selection in corn, wheat, etc involves selecting out the seeds of the plants that have the characteristics we want (more yield, sweeter taste, faster growing, more resistant to drought, etc) and planting those for the next crop.... and then doing this over a large number of generations until you end up with a seed variety that will reliably produce the traits you want. This is NOT genetically modifying the food in the same sense as GMOs.

Genetically modified crops involved taking some DNA out of one species and injecting it into the DNA of another species.... for example, a piece of flat fish DNA in a tomato.

Not the same at all.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 AM

7,145 posts, read 7,581,204 times
I just boil it. I LOVE it on the grill but I swear I screw it up every time I grill it

Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,823,128 times
Blanch the corn - microwaving it with the ears covered with wet paper towels will do as well - and then grill it just enough so that the ears are toasted.

After that, all you need is butter. That's it!

When preparing corn in the cob, less is more...

Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM

1,071 posts, read 987,462 times
Put them in the oven directly on the oven racks with the husks on. Silks come right off.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 AM

703 posts, read 402,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I prepare the corn by explaining to it that it's purpose in life is to fill my belly! I tell it that it's secondary purpose is to be fresh and yummy! I then explain that I will now strip it naked and place it in boiling water for ten minutes then dry it off and slather it in real butter and salt. Then I'll eat it up!

It seems to calm it and prepare it for it's final destination!
*chuckles*

I add milk to a big pot of cold water, sprinkle in a little sugar, add corn, bring to a boil, immediately remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Perfect every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink