U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:14 PM

51,683 posts, read 12,675,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Just wondering...we Americans are so "go, go, go." Do you actually eat three sit-down meals a day?

I have a friend who is very rigid about her meals. She eats very healthy (organic, etc.) and will never skip a meal. I seem to eat when I feel hungry...usually a mid-morning meal and another larger meal late afternoon. Then I snack in the evening. Not the best eating habits, I guess. I'm retired, so I can eat when I want.

How about you? What are your eating habits? Do you eat a sit-down breakfast, or do you grab coffee and a granola bar on your way to work? I suppose most working people eat lunch. How about dinner? Do you cook an actual meal, pick up fast food, or just pop some popcorn? I was guilty of all of the above when I worked. Anyone actually eat three sit-down meals anymore?
I eat when hungry, so I usually have a muffin or bagel between 11 - 1 and then will eat a sandwich or a salad or pasta between 4 - 6, then have a piece of fruit or some chips or crackers around 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 PM

15,944 posts, read 8,865,732 times
To expand on my previous post, dinner is a family affair and takes place in the dining room, which sounds much more formal than it is in real life. We have a fairly consistent rotation of meals, as in Tuesday is seafood, Wednesday is soup/stew and salad, Thursday is pasta, etc. Everybody eats lunch separately. Kids eat at school, husband usually eats with coworkers or clients, and I either eat at home or occasionally with my spouse or a friend. Family breakfast meals are a hodgepodge, because everybody leaves at different times. I usually join my middle schooler, who departs for school around 7:00 a.m.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 PM

19,039 posts, read 12,606,588 times
We are a retired couple. We have always had breakfast. Now I make a breakfast for myself, and sometimes when DH wants the same, I make both of our breakfasts. But usually he likes cereal for breakfast.

We usually eat different lunches, but sometimes I make a lunch for both of us.

We eat supper together or we sometimes eat out.

We sit at our counter, unless we have guests, when we sit at our dining table.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:02 AM

69 posts, read 53,024 times
Every 6, 12 or 24 hours I will eat.

I was starved on purpose as a child so I rarely will eat, I just eat very little to hoard food.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:37 AM

6,123 posts, read 5,172,912 times
My only "sit down" meal of the day really is my break at work - we work in a school cafeteria. We all pick our food of choice - pretty much anything we want of what's available. I usually make myself a turkey sandwich. We sit at the table in the breakroom and talk, laugh, and eat together. The rest of the day, I eat when I'm hungry. Right now our kitchen is gutted (we're redoing it), we have no refrigerator presently (we're deciding on a new one) and cooking meals is difficult. Last night for dinner, my daughter and I split a Wal-Mart sub and a box of Little Debbies. I guess you could call that a "sit down" meal, because we were sitting in the car in the Wal-Mart parking lot when we ate it.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-02-2014 at 04:45 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,252,765 times
On weekdays I have 3 sit-down meals though only dinner is at the dining table with my family (breakfast by myself at the computer and lunch on my break at work with whoever else is on break at the same time). At the weekend I usually only have two meals, brunch and dinner, as we get up later at weekends. Snacks in between whenever I'm hungry.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM

30,428 posts, read 31,345,015 times
I do sit down for 3 meals daily although most of my meals tend to be on the light side.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 AM

670 posts, read 765,388 times
Some very interesting posts here. I feel guilty not responding right away since I started the thread, but I have to run my mother to the doctor...will be back!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM

486 posts, read 557,357 times
We tend to have three sit-down meals a day; sometimes it's just a bowl of cereal or a sandwich, but we do take some time and sit down at a table like civilized people. I've very rarely grabbed a bite to eat in the car when I'm running errands at lunchtime, but I never eat & drive like many people I've seen. I don't even like to eat in the car because crumbs fall, not that I have the cleanest car in the world either. I don't understand people who won't allow 15 or 20 minutes to eat a meal.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,223,031 times
Try to have two sometimes its just one Dinner with the family. During the summer months May-Oct here in California I prefer to eat really light during the day which means eating while doing something else most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink