U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM

3,901 posts, read 4,514,290 times

Advertisements

Usually, two meals a day, with some snacks when I get hungry. Morning, usually either a very healthy breakfast bar with tea (is that a meal?) or cold cereal with tea. On rare occasion I do 3 meals a day. My evening meal is the bigger meal most of the time. When I visit my DD and son-in-law in another area, they think it's strange that I don't do 3 meals a day. I'm a senior citizen now and try hard to keep calories down and eat at least a bit healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 AM

51,290 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Well, I sit at my desk and eat breakfast, so is that a "sit-down" meal? I do eat (usually) a boiled egg while standing up at home in the morning because I have to take a medication with food before I leave the house. I don't have the luxury of spare time to sit down and eat breakfast at home, and I'm not really hungry yet at that hour anyway. After the 90-minute commute, I'm ready for a real breakfast, usually oatmeal and fruit.

Lunch I either take from home and eat at my desk or occasionally go out with coworkers. Dinner at home I do eat sitting down. I live alone, so I'm not eating at a table with anyone. Usually I read while I eat.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM

284 posts, read 323,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Wow, Geezerrunner...You must have a fast metabolism! Sounds like you're a healthy eater too.
I don't seem to put on weight like most people. I am 5'11" and 168lbs.
I do get more exercise than most people over 60 because I usually run about 20 miles a week, as well as gardening etc.
Mostly I think its just luck- my sister was slim as well.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:26 PM

486 posts, read 555,080 times
I don't think that the question was so much about whether you sit at a desk or a table (or even whether you sit or stand), but more a question of how you sit to eat. Most often I eat my breakfast at my desk because I'm not real hungry either before I leave the house - but I do take a moment (wherever I am) to stop and pay attention to refueling. I don't grab something and eat it while driving, or eat while working; I stop for a few minutes and have my meal.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:33 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,208,583 times
I get up at around 9 AM and sometimes its around 3-4 PM before I realize I havent eaten yet. Then I'll fix a bowl of oatmeal or some eggs and that will stick with me for around 5-6 hours. So, no, I dont eat 3 sit down meals per day. Dont think I did that since i was a teenager.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:26 PM

670 posts, read 761,271 times
Default Sit-Down Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Sure I eat three "sit down" meals daily. If you count, sitting down in my car, sitting down at my desk, sitting down in lunch detention, sitting down in my recliner because I couldn't go any farther. In this regard I eat "sit down" meals each day.
Ha, ha...yes, I guess we "sit down" to eat in a lot of places today besides the dining room table. We are such a mobile society!

When I worked, I ate breakfast on my way to work in the car, gobbled down whatever I could during a short break for lunch, and came home too exhausted to cook a decent meal. Fortunately, I was single. Now that I'm retired, my eating habits are somewhat better, but not what they should be. That recliner does feel good at the end of the day!

Old 05-02-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I sit at my desk and eat breakfast, so is that a "sit-down" meal? I do eat (usually) a boiled egg while standing up at home in the morning because I have to take a medication with food before I leave the house. I don't have the luxury of spare time to sit down and eat breakfast at home, and I'm not really hungry yet at that hour anyway. After the 90-minute commute, I'm ready for a real breakfast, usually oatmeal and fruit.

Lunch I either take from home and eat at my desk or occasionally go out with coworkers. Dinner at home I do eat sitting down. I live alone, so I'm not eating at a table with anyone. Usually I read while I eat.
I know the feeling Mightyqueen, I'm single too. Although I live with my sister and mother, we all cook separately and eat on different schedules. I usually have the tv on while I'm preparing my meals and eating them. Sometimes I "share" part of my meal with my cats. LOL...they always have to know what I'm eating.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
YesI do, I make sure to make the time for all 3 meals.
Good for you, lubby! You probably get in all your servings of grains, fruits & veggies, etc. that you should. I'm quite sure that I do not...although I go in streaks where I eat very healthy when I'm trying to shed a few pounds.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM

Default Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Usually, two meals a day, with some snacks when I get hungry. Morning, usually either a very healthy breakfast bar with tea (is that a meal?) or cold cereal with tea. On rare occasion I do 3 meals a day. My evening meal is the bigger meal most of the time. When I visit my DD and son-in-law in another area, they think it's strange that I don't do 3 meals a day. I'm a senior citizen now and try hard to keep calories down and eat at least a bit healthy.

Lee, that is another issue that you bring up. As senior citizens, lots of us are not as hungry as we were as teenagers. We don't need three huge meals plus snacks every day. We're just not as active as we were before, and our metabolisms have slowed down. When I eat three huge meals a day, I feel very stuffed and uncomfortable.

I was visiting a niece recently, and she served three large meals that day. When bedtime came, I still felt uncomfortable. When I got up to use the bathroom at night, she was up cooking an egg on toast for herself because she couldn't sleep due to hunger. Age does make a difference, I guess.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,368,755 times
Yes I do and when I had my kids we all sat down and ate a proper dinner at the table with no tv on.

Meal times are important.

Some cultures make a real performance of a meal, every day it's the most important part of the day and everything else stops so people can eat together.

Those societies tend to be happier and healthier than ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink