U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM

10,396 posts, read 7,478,326 times

Advertisements

No. I try to only eat when I'm hungry. It's just the two of us so.. He requires more meal time than I do, which is why I've put on weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
People who do not make eating an event, and eat while they are watching TV, on the computer or doing other things, seem to be heavier.

A meal should have a beginning an an end. Endless grazing just isn't good.

Skipping breakfast does not save calories, it slows the metabolism.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:18 PM

670 posts, read 760,916 times
Default Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yes I do and when I had my kids we all sat down and ate a proper dinner at the table with no tv on.

Meal times are important.

Some cultures make a real performance of a meal, every day it's the most important part of the day and everything else stops so people can eat together.

Those societies tend to be happier and healthier than ours.
Yes, and some of those cultures have official "tea breaks" at certain hours where they sit down and relax or chat. You wonder how much faster America can zoom through their meals. We're already generally overweight because people pick up take-out food so much. I know I was guilty of it when I worked. Now that I'm retired, I tend to eat healthier...very little fast food.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Default Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
People who do not make eating an event, and eat while they are watching TV, on the computer or doing other things, seem to be heavier.

I totally agree that skipping breakfast is not good. I like a cup of tea when I get up...and then an hour or so later, I have my breakfast about brunch time, but it really holds me until mid-afternoon because I eat a good breakfast.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:27 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
To me its funny how some people eat either because someone else is eating or just because its "meal time". The person even though theyve just eaten a meal 30 minutes prior will see someone eating something so theyll have to go fix themselves something else to eat simply because someone else was eating. Or those that sleep late until its practically lunch time, eat a big breakfast, then eat again less than an hour later simply because its lunch time. Excuse me, but didnt you just get done eating?

Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 PM

27,252 posts, read 15,040,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Right! Sadly there is a whole generation that does not know what it means to sit down and have quality time with family members at meal times.
People have dining rooms, though... not sure what for
I just saw on the Today Show this morning that families are actually doing a good job in this area; sitting down together at least 5 days a week.

Personally, I find that a little hard to believe but that is what the survey said!

Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 AM

13,031 posts, read 7,199,948 times
I usually only eat two times a day with a light snack after work. I work evenings and nights so breakfast is out of the question. My biggest meal is around noon and a smaller meal at work any where between 5pm and 630pm. When I come home at midnight I eat a piece of fruit (the dogs eat about half) or maybe a couple of table spoons full of cottage cheese. I'm trying not to eat after work but it's hard to sleep when you're so hungry.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 AM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Just wondering...we Americans are so "go, go, go." Do you actually eat three sit-down meals a day?

I have a friend who is very rigid about her meals. She eats very healthy (organic, etc.) and will never skip a meal. I seem to eat when I feel hungry...usually a mid-morning meal and another larger meal late afternoon. Then I snack in the evening. Not the best eating habits, I guess. I'm retired, so I can eat when I want.

How about you? What are your eating habits? Do you eat a sit-down breakfast, or do you grab coffee and a granola bar on your way to work? I suppose most working people eat lunch. How about dinner? Do you cook an actual meal, pick up fast food, or just pop some popcorn? I was guilty of all of the above when I worked. Anyone actually eat three sit-down meals anymore?
Hell no. I eat when I am hungry. Usually that is two meals a day, and usually that is at work. I make my lunch every day...eat yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast. No fast food - no popcorn. I go to the gym right after work, and usually have a light snack after I get home.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 AM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

No, it doesn't. That's an old myth that has been thrown out the window years ago. Somehow people keep wanting to believe it.

Stoking the metabolic fire: does higher meal frequency increase metabolism and enhance fat loss? | Calories in Context

Effects of meal frequency on metabolic profiles and... [PLoS One. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

[Thermogenesis in humans after varying meal t... [Ann Nutr Metab. 1987] - PubMed - NCBI

Meal Frequency and Energy Balance | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Default Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I get up at around 9 AM and sometimes its around 3-4 PM before I realize I havent eaten yet. Then I'll fix a bowl of oatmeal or some eggs and that will stick with me for around 5-6 hours. So, no, I dont eat 3 sit down meals per day. Dont think I did that since i was a teenager.
Wow...Don't you get hungry between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm...after all, you haven't eaten all night? I think I'd get shaky and faint if I didn't eat for that long of a stretch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink