Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:31 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times

Advertisements

I eat two meals a day. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 05:19 PM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
Default Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerrunner View Post
I usually eat four times a day, and have an evening snack.

- breakfast at 7:30 is typically 2 cups of coffee and 2 pieces of toast with some spread, or cereal or 2 scrambled eggs plus toast, maybe bacon or cheese.

- I am usually hungry by 11am -noon, if a work day I may have a salad, granola bar, fruit and a small pudding for desert, or leftover pasta, stew, chili or a ham, roast beef or cheese and tomato sandwich plus the other stuff.

-about 4pm I will have another meal similar to the 11am meal

- anytime between 7pm and 9pm I will have a cooked meal with meat or fish, potatoes and vegetables or sometimes just vegetable soup and bread and butter if I am less hungry.

Usually I will have dried fruit, cheese and crackers or something light before bed.
Wow, Geezerrunner...You must have a fast metabolism! Sounds like you're a healthy eater too.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 PM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
Default Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am fairly "rigid" also. I think that eating together is a good thing. When my children were younger, we ate breakfast and dinner together, as well as weekend lunches and brunches.

Now that they are in their late teens early 20s, we eat dinner together 3 or 4 times a week. No TV. Set the table. Take turns clearing the table and loading the dishwasher.

Call me old fashioned or traditional. I don't care. It's been good for us. It's a time that we all look forward to. Lot's of laughs and good company.

The food ain't bad either.http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/cff/docume...sfactsheet.pdf

Then there is this - from Purdue University
I'm all for families eating together! I think it's great. We ate that way when I was growing up. I'm single now, and everyone just eats whenever they feel like it.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:17 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Sure I eat three "sit down" meals daily. If you count, sitting down in my car, sitting down at my desk, sitting down in lunch detention, sitting down in my recliner because I couldn't go any farther. In this regard I eat "sit down" meals each day.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Right! Sadly there is a whole generation that does not know what it means to sit down and have quality time with family members at meal times.
People have dining rooms, though... not sure what for
We use ours, but then it's our only place for a meal. Our kitchen does not accommodate a table.

As for meals, I usually eat two meals a day that involve dishes and flatware. I may or may not have a third meal, and it's usually a handful of this or that. Some nuts, a piece of fruit, or a slice of avocado toast.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
YesI do, I make sure to make the time for all 3 meals.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:26 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Sure I eat three "sit down" meals daily. If you count, sitting down in my car, sitting down at my desk, sitting down in lunch detention, sitting down in my recliner because I couldn't go any farther. In this regard I eat "sit down" meals each day.
im with teach here,,,i eat in my car alot...

mid morning i was in a grocery store in nh and bought some very inexpensive cooked chicken , 1.50 for two legs... being an opportunist, i filled up on them...

for lunch i had an orange and two reduced bananas (30 cents) that filled me up til the coffee in the afternoon,

yesterday i had a muffin for breakfast and chinese buffet for lunch...

dinner is the one meal at home we sit to eat...together..

Old 05-01-2014, 07:28 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Just wondering...we Americans are so "go, go, go." Do you actually eat three sit-down meals a day?

I have a friend who is very rigid about her meals. She eats very healthy (organic, etc.) and will never skip a meal. I seem to eat when I feel hungry...usually a mid-morning meal and another larger meal late afternoon. Then I snack in the evening. Not the best eating habits, I guess. I'm retired, so I can eat when I want.

How about you? What are your eating habits? Do you eat a sit-down breakfast, or do you grab coffee and a granola bar on your way to work? I suppose most working people eat lunch. How about dinner? Do you cook an actual meal, pick up fast food, or just pop some popcorn? I was guilty of all of the above when I worked. Anyone actually eat three sit-down meals anymore?
Yes, 3x per day. Drive home for lunch.(4miles) I have not eaten fast food in decades.

I am in a strength training program and have to eat quite considerable quantities of real food to maintain TDEE. Healthy food as well.

Before it was less, 1 formal meal per day and green snacking throughout with an occasional chocolate chip/potato chip/popcorn digression.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:01 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,891 times
Being a meat head I used to do the five or six meal thing to get in 3,500 to 4,000 kcals because I believed one had to spread all their nutrients throughout the day to "stoke the metabolic furnace" but since I've wised up, I no longer do this and have three or four large meals depending on how much I am taking in. About a week or I started experimenting with intermittent fasting.

I'm trying to get very lean for summer and for some other reasons so the plan is this.

> First modest meal at 12 at 1:00 PM, about 14 to 16 hours since dinner night before. Meal contains only protein and fat.
> Second modest meal at around 4:00 to 5:00 PM, only protein, fats, and veggies.
> Workout around 6:30 to 7:00 and end at 8 to 8:30 and have peri-workout shake with pro and carbs.
> Get home to large meal and dessert containing rest of protein, carb, and fat need requirement for rest of day.

By making breakfast and a meal much later in the day and having the big feast at night I am so much more productive and don't have to worry about food as much. I also have more focus from having my carbs at night.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I always do breakfast and dinner. Usually lunch, but most of my meals are well under 500 calories. I graze, then eat a bit more at "meals". I'd much rather eat multiple times in less quantity rather than fill up 3 times a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink