U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times

Advertisements

Another suggestion I have for chicken breasts: cut them up, marinate in a mix of yogurt and tandoori spices from Penzey's, for a few hours or more, then fry the pieces of chicken on medium-high to brown them. It's not the lowest-calorie chicken, but it sure is tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:45 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,633,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
1.) Not everyone likes thighs over breasts. No one I know prefers them, they are slimy, have more tendons and junk in them.

2.) she's trying to lose weight, eating thighs is not what she needs or wants.

3.) Chicken breasts can be awesome and are not boring. They don't have flavor perhaps but that means it is easy to marinade it and flavor it with anything you wish

You gotta be kidding. No-one?

I'm guessing you live in a very, very homogenous area. Or you don't know anyone.

Slimy? What the heck you cooking them in - gloop?

And again - all these suggestions here to try to impart flavor to the bland chicken breast. Why not eat something naturally flavorful if you want flavor?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 PM

11,824 posts, read 7,699,774 times
I love it, I hope that more people would buy chicken breast over thighs. The price of thighs will be lower and I'll take BBQ chicken drumsticks any day over breasts.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 PM

3,777 posts, read 7,167,630 times
I also don't usually like chicken breasts. Here's one way I do like them:

olive oil
chicken breast(s), cut into bite-sized pieces
onion
celery (optional)
salt and pepper as desired
grated apple (Granny Smith or Fuji or other good cooking apple). I use one apple for two people.

Start browning the chicken in the olive oil. Add the onion, celery, salt, and pepper. When the chicken is pretty well cooked, grate the apple into it. Drain if you want; add a little water (so it won't burn) and cook until apple is a little tender.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
You could do a linguine-Alfredo thing.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 3,220 times
I always soak my breast in a salt brine as if I was going to smoke a whole bird or something. Keeps the meat nice and moist.

Regards
puffhuffer

Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 AM

5,273 posts, read 8,223,164 times

I love this stuff! Lawry's Tuscan sun dried tomato is my favorite flavor. This is how I cook the best tasting chicken breasts......

You have to buy very large skinless breasts. Cooking times will be different for smaller ones.

Marinate the breast for at least 30 minutes (the longer you let it sit the more flavor).

Preheat your oven to 485 degrees.

Place the chicken in the preheated oven on a middle rack.

Cook for 24 minutes.

Cut the breast in half and check to make sure it has been cooked through. If not return to the hot oven (turned off) for another minute or two.

This chicken is the best!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I'm trying to lose some weight before the summer and know I should incorporate a lot of chicken in my diet. I buy regular chicken breasts from Jewel and usually just cook them on a pan, but I just can't get them to taste good. It's not like they taste horrible, but they're just so bland. Last night, I even tried marinating them with some stir fry sauce, but it didn't help much.

I plan on buying a smoky joe grill this week. Will that help chicken taste better? Is that why chicken breasts at restaurants taste so much better? I would love for my chicken to taste like the chicken they use for burrito bowls at Chipotle.

Also, does it matter what brand of chicken breasts I get? The Jewel brand I get are really plump, so they are probably packed with hormones. Would that affect the taste? If I bought chicken breasts from Trader Joe's, would that make a difference?
I place a lemon slice underneath the chicken breast and then squeeze the rest of the lemon juice over the top. Then I apply a good amount of freshly ground black on top, too, with a slight pinch of sea salt. Also, I cook in real butter.

Many have mentioned brine. The quickest and easiest method is to use pickle juice. You don't actually have to brine the breast, you can just pour a little over the breast as they cook for the quickest method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
chicken breasts get awfully dry quickly.
This is how I like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or