U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times

Advertisements

Brine or marinate overnight, then bake at a low temperature - about 220f would work, or even a bit lower. They become tender and moist. This is best for doing larger amounts at one time.

You can also go the other direction and cut it up into chunks, then stir-fry at a very high temperature, just briefly until they stop feeling "floppy". Then salt or soy sauce them. Of course you're going to get a few more calories from the oil. (this is also the best way to cook liver).

The problem with cutting out all the fat from a diet is that soon you become ravenously hungry no matter how much you eat, or at least most people do. Fat is one of the things that give us satiation, or a feeling of fullness - and saturated fats are the best for doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:50 PM

10,862 posts, read 18,892,348 times
The only thing about brining the chicken is that you have to make sure the ones you buy aren't already injected with a saline solution. Most of the boneless breasts I see in the grocery store are.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM

4,968 posts, read 13,999,451 times
I have no idea what the caloric impact is, but my favorite way to eat a chicken breast is to marinade it overnight in Wishbone Italian--periodically piercing the breast with a sharp fork so the dressing sinks in, then grilling it on a grill. Yummy & not dry.

If you do re-heat chicken breast in a microwave, add some water to it and reduce heating power.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
You must marinade.

Something acidic (lemon juice, orange juice) some oil, seasoning - right there is your basic marinade which will keep the breast juicy as long as you cook it on a medium heat.

Add in whatever other flavors you like. I have some marinating in the fridge right now in lime juice, olive oil, ketjap manis, soy, garlic, peanut butter

But you could use cumin and chili for Mexican, Oregano for Italian etc.

For those who are wary about sugar salt oil etc - a little bit of these things goes a long way and if you work out the calories, half a cup of marinade will cover about a pound or more of chicken, so each serving will only have a tablespoon or so of extra calorie, which is completely insignificant over a day's eating.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,362,322 times
Do happy chickens make better tasting chickens?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:09 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Do happy chickens make better tasting chickens?
Happy chickens are still "kickin'" - not sure they would taste very good. I wonder if "Mike the headless chicken" was happy ?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,907,643 times
Brine that chicken for about 45 minutes.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:19 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
bnls chicken breasts are lean and low fat, good for diets,
slice them up thin,,,for stir fry- throw in veggies and a low fat sauce

pound/flatten them out and roll some low fat cheese and a slice of ham.. for like a cordon bleu

i like bnls chicken thighs,,,find a seasoning you like,,,,,i like a montreal type mix,,,more peppery than salty
i will make chicken kabobs on wooden skewers with bnls thighs....

Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Brine or marinate overnight, then bake at a low temperature - about 220f would work, or even a bit lower. They become tender and moist. This is best for doing larger amounts at one time.

You can also go the other direction and cut it up into chunks, then stir-fry at a very high temperature, just briefly until they stop feeling "floppy". Then salt or soy sauce them. Of course you're going to get a few more calories from the oil. (this is also the best way to cook liver).

The problem with cutting out all the fat from a diet is that soon you become ravenously hungry no matter how much you eat, or at least most people do. Fat is one of the things that give us satiation, or a feeling of fullness - and saturated fats are the best for doing that.
I was just reading that dairy fat is more conducive with weight loss. I would say the obvious solution would be to introduce some simple cream or sour cream sauces. A little broth, dijon and heavy cream or sour cream can be pretty flavorful

Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,005,603 times
Thanks for all these ideas. I just can't force myself to like chicken, other than fried legs.

I buy boneless breasts from Wal-Mart to mix in with my dog's food. She lives high on the hog. Since I buy packages with 7 or 8 huge ones in a package, I've been racking my brain on how to fix an occasional one for myself.

I've come to the conclusion I just don't much care for chicken.

I'll definitely try to marinate one overnight in my Poppy Seed salad dressing. How bad can it be? I might even like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or