U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:32 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,036,584 times

Advertisements

This is the trick:

Seasoning. Start with a little thyme, then sprinkle a solid layer of garlic powder on, salt it w/ sea salt, not a ton but not a tiny amount either, then finish it off with fresh cracked pepper. Now, grab a spoon, press the seasoning into the meat w/ it, then pour olive oil into the spoon and distribute it evenly over the chicken, not so much that it washes all the seasoning off, but enough that it won't stick to the grill. Now flip it over and do the same process.

The grill should be pre-heating this whole time, btw.

Now sear both sides, like a minute or two a side depending on the heat. This is to help lock in the juices. Once both sides are seared, close the lid of the grill and turn the heat down the around 3/4, so that it gets to around 400 degree's and evens out there.

Cook until done, turn them over once.

Don't overcook them or they will be dry, the key is to get them fully cooked through but not killed. Thermometer helps, but once you do it enough you get a sense of the correct time for the thickness of the cut.

Enjoy! If you don't have a grill, sear the chicken in a pan (cast iron skillet preferable not not needed), then throw them in the oven at 400 until done. It's really hard to cook a full chicken breast through in a pan without absolutely killing the outside of it.

Grill works really well, I get nothing but compliments on my chicken. You don't need to marinate it or slow cook it for hours (although marinading is awesome, just not as a daily thing), trust me this is very very tasty.

This system works on pretty much all meat. Steak, salmon, you name it. With salmon you sear the flesh then flip it onto the skin and bake it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 05:35 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm still amazed at how many of you are saying chicken breasts are tasteless or dry. I am not a gourmet cook by any means (I already admitted to using Shake & Bake! ), but my chicken breasts are usually delicious.

I do often buy thighs (especially to use in the slow cooker) because they go on sale a LOT, and I like them too, but OP, why not give some posters' suggestions a try before giving up on chicken breasts altogether?
good points..

here is bacon wrapped bnls chicken chunks in teriyaki sauce How can I get chicken breasts to taste good?-ter.bacon-wrapped.jpg

How can I get chicken breasts to taste good?-county-fried-chicken-steak.jpg

and this(breast) is flattened breast dipped in egg whites then coated in a flour based seasoning

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 05-02-2014 at 05:44 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 05:47 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,744,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good points..

here is bacon wrapped bnls chicken chunks in teriyaki sauce Attachment 129281

Attachment 129282

and this(breast) is flattened breast dipped in egg whites then coated in a flour based seasoning
lol, OK, well, anything wrapped in BACON is going to be delicious! (Tried to rep you but I have to spread it around first!)

Old 05-02-2014, 06:03 PM

847 posts, read 891,802 times
Try this next time you have boneless chicken breasts. Take the whole breast (we get thick ones almost a lb each) and using a sharp knife, slice them into cutlets 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.........you've just saved $2 over a pound of pre-sliced cutlets. Next drop them in a plastic bag of either store bought or homemade marinade. A simple oil and vinegar mix works great too. Let them sit for at least an hour.

Next, throw them on a preheated grill for 2 - 3 minutes a side, and they're done. Put them on a nice fresh roll and make a sandwich or serve them on a plate with your choice of sides. Experiment with different thicknesses until you find an end result you like

One more idea, while the breasts are still just a bit frozen, shave or slice them into thin pieces and stir fry with mushrooms and onions in some olive oil, then serve over rice. Or use the same shave method, mix with taco seasoning and have chicken tacos.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
How can I get chicken breasts to taste good?-chicken-kabobs.jpg

How can I get chicken breasts to taste good?-picture-012.jpg

How can I get chicken breasts to taste good?-chixcordonbleu.jpg

here are a few more-chicken kabobs, chicken cordon bleu and stuffed chicken breast

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
lol, OK, well, anything wrapped in BACON is going to be delicious! (Tried to rep you but I have to spread it around first!)

Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
Go outside. Eat some dirt, a few handfuls of grass, and some leaves off of various trees. Then come back inside and have a chicken breast. Mmm Mmm good eatin.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
I love chicken with sweet peppers. Homemade soups and stews can be really great, much better than canned. Here's a recipe I came up with that uses a whole chicken. You can skip the potatoes if you're avoiding carbs, but I think it's better with potatoes:

1 chicken
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 cloves garlic
3 potatoes, diced
3 bell peppers of different colors, sliced
black pepper
Cover chicken with water and a little more.
Add bay leaves, paprika, salt, garlic.
Boil, then simmer 'til chicken is tender.
Bone chicken and remove skin. Strain broth.
Simmer chicken and broth, bell peppers and potatoes 'til done.
Add black pepper.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 10,333 times
Just Marinade them
in low calorie italian
salad dressing than grill or fry them.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,025,365 times
Steam with Lemon pepper. Then top with parmesan.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:01 AM

513 posts, read 556,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The best way is to throw them away and buy chicken thighs instead, That's where the flavor is.

Edit : I see others have already told you the truth
1.) Not everyone likes thighs over breasts. No one I know prefers them, they are slimy, have more tendons and junk in them.

2.) she's trying to lose weight, eating thighs is not what she needs or wants.

3.) Chicken breasts can be awesome and are not boring. They don't have flavor perhaps but that means it is easy to marinade it and flavor it with anything you wish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or