U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:11 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,972,245 times

Advertisements

marinate them. We cook them in a george foreman grill and it does seal in the juices better than on a regular grill where they dry out. Also, like other suggested, try boneless thighs. they are moister. I got the tip from an Emeril show.

Last edited by gardener34; 05-03-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 PM

513 posts, read 560,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
A George Foreman grill is a great and easy way to cook chicken breasts that are flavorful and juicy. Because they cook on both sides at once, it is also quick. It used to be the only way I would eat chicken breasts. Then, my cousin (who is a chef) taught me how to cook delicious chicken breasts that are juicy (not dry) and very flavorful.

You start out in a frying pan heated to medium or a tiny bit higher, using extra virgin olive oil. You only use a pair of tongs to turn the breasts so that the juices do not escape from punctures. Quickly brown the breast on both sides. This sears in the juices. Also, make sure that the edges of the breast are browned. This involves holding and turning the breast on it's edges with the tongs. Then cook the breast a few minutes on each side (turning with tongs). When the breast looks like it is close to being done, cut a slice into it to the middle to see if there is any pink. You do not want to overcook. If the pink is gone, remove it immediately. If there is still pink, continue cooking another minute or so and check again.

People tend to overcook chicken because of salmonella fears; however, once the pink is gone inside, it is fully cooked. Overcooking breasts is what makes it so dry. I remove the breast immediately and salt and pepper (or whatever your preference is) on both sides. Serve immediately as meat continues to cook inside while it is hot.

Admittedly, this cooking technique for breasts is a bit of work, but you will get a very delicious breast. I cook this way when I am trying to drop a few pounds. I only have to cook for one, so it is easier cooking this way than it would be for a family.

Enjoy!
Yes, that I think is the problem. Many people overcook it. I cook 6 mins one side, and 4 mins the next. Then I take the temp. If its not right it goes on for another minute. Then it's fine. My mom cooks them for like twenty minutes. It tastes like nothing, dry and disgusting.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:04 PM

4,445 posts, read 5,198,229 times
While driving home a week or so ago I was listening to NPR. Their guests were from Cook's Illustrated and were discussing cooking gluten free chicken among other things. I couldn't write down their recipe but I think it was to dip the chicken in rice flour, then beaten egg, then again in rice with a little corn meal added. Did anyone else happen to hear it and get the correct directions?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,230,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
While driving home a week or so ago I was listening to NPR. Their guests were from Cook's Illustrated and were discussing cooking gluten free chicken among other things. I couldn't write down their recipe but I think it was to dip the chicken in rice flour, then beaten egg, then again in rice with a little corn meal added. Did anyone else happen to hear it and get the correct directions?
Not I. But I'm pretty sure the next step is to fry them somehow, and so incorporate a lot of fat into the recipe That always helps. When something's breaded, and then cooked, that cooking is almost always some kind of frying. I don't have anything against it at all, as long as the oil used is one of the healthier ones, but it's no longer low-fat.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 05-03-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 PM

642 posts, read 914,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hi Heidi, if you miss something or want to revisit something on NPR, you can find it easily via their search engine at NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR

Old 05-03-2014, 07:47 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,594,149 times
I'd like to hear from a cardiologist about low fat = poor health.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:29 PM

13,703 posts, read 11,169,569 times
How can I get chicken breasts to taste good?

Dont eat for a couple days and anything you eat will taste good.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,337,371 times
You need to cook quickly on a grill so as not to dry out to just correct temperature since its chicken. Favoring is individual; especially on a diet.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,230,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You need to cook quickly on a grill so as not to dry out to just correct temperature since its chicken. Favoring is individual; especially on a diet.
Or you can keep that breast on the grill a half hour and get a hockey puck. If you like hockey pucks.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:01 AM

5,197 posts, read 3,688,824 times
This is super easy and you are TOTALLY going to love it!

(first I cut them horizontally on a cutting board with a sharp knife into two thin pieces each, then:

My favorite way to cook chicken breasts:

Place thawed chicken breast tenderloin strips in a bowl of milk. Let soak for 20-30 min.

Mix in a Gallon Size Ziploc or Large Bowl:
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 T Season All
3/4 tsp Pepper
1 c. Flour
2 tsp. Paprika

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 1/2 stick of butter into a few pieces and place in a 9x13 pan. Melt butter in pre-heated oven.

Spread melted butter around the bottom of the pan. Lightly spray the pan, if needed, to make sure that there are no dry spots.

Shake excess milk off of chicken and completely coat each piece with the seasoning mix. You can either shake the chicken in the bag, until coated, or dip each piece in the bowl until coated.
Place each piece of chicken in the pan.

Cook for 20 min. Turn each piece of chicken and continue cooking for 20 more minutes, or until cooked through.
ENJOY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or