U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM

486 posts, read 554,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I hate it when people hold their utensils like this! What is up with that?
I think they're afraid someone might try to take it from them!

Many of these annoyances might have been avoided had their folks ever tried to teach a few table manners, but nobody wants to be told how to do anything anymore, so this is what they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:56 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Eating with your mouth open.

Starting a conversation over dinner with "do you know where this meat came from." A vegetarian came over to dinner once and started with that as dinner was served. What she did NOT know was that two of the other guests worked for Iowa Beef Processors ...

Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 PM

5,681 posts, read 2,790,609 times
"do you know where this meat came from"

As long as it came from the stove, I'm good. And as long as someone else is offering it to you for free, you ought to stop looking a gift horse (or pig, cow, chicken, etc.) in the mouth.

It's not really annoying--just "peculiar"--but this woman I work with has to smell anything before she eats it. She gets this skeptical look on her face as if it's some foreign substance. I'd understand if it was some strange dish she'd never tried, but she does it even for granola bars, doughnuts, even food she cooked and brings to work for lunch. She doesn't even know she's doing it. She's the only person I've seen doing that so consistently. I also dated a guy in college who was obsessive about the food on his plate always staying separated--that is, no food could run over into another as it sat on the plate. My reaction ("But it's all going to get blended together eventually") made perfect sense to him, but he still wanted everything to have its own place. He would of course take forkfuls of one food or the other in separate bites. I'll bet he loved those compartmentalized plates they use in school cafeterias.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 PM

22,710 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
thats called the fork-shovel approach for serious eaters
Two of the most intelligent and accomplished guys I know shovel food. I still don't like it, but I realize that they couldn't care less about table manners. They're both in their 50s, so I guess that they never will.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,067,695 times
I used to be a server, and I don't have a problem with the actual eating habits, it's the way that people behavior towards servers and their dining companions.

A friend of mine recently went out to eat w/ her husband, kids, etc and they took a family picture and shared it on FB. It was a sweet picture, but what bothered me was the background. It was another family ALL on their phone and playing with them and not interacting with each other. It was sad.

One of my pet peeves when I was a server was when I would approach the table, "Hello, my name is Tammy and i'll be taking care of you. how is everyone doing today?" Then people rudely respond "WATER!" (Uh... didn't know water was a response to how you were doing.)

Old 05-11-2014, 01:57 PM

3,395 posts, read 3,563,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I know it should not matter, but I can't help but feel miffed if someone accepts an invitation to dine out, let's say for pizza, and they only eat the cheese because they are dietting!@! or they order hot wings and leave most of the meat on the bone!
Duh, why did they accept the invitation if they were going to ditch half the food?

Or they constantly demand what I feel is excessive service (this is too cold, this is not cooked enough, this tastes burnt, I need more ice, there's too much ice, can you substitute potatoes anna for the fries, can I have extra hollandaise sauce ...in a cup.. on the side.. reheated.. to go, ad nauseum ad infinitum).

I am not a pushover but there are limits!

AREN'T there?
Food snobbery. People who insist on gourmet everything and turn up their noses at just regular, good food. The best example comes from a conversation I once overheard at a coffee shop:

Man #1: So, did you ever get a chance to check out Hamburger Mary's? [a gourmet hamburger place in Chicago]

Man #2: Yeah, but I was kind of disappointed.

Man #1: Really, you mean it wasn't good?

Man #2: Oh no, it was very good. But when I go out, I expect great.

I almost stood up and strangled the guy.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:19 PM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
"do you know where this meat came from"

As long as it came from the stove, I'm good. And as long as someone else is offering it to you for free, you ought to stop looking a gift horse (or pig, cow, chicken, etc.) in the mouth.

It's not really annoying--just "peculiar"--but this woman I work with has to smell anything before she eats it. She gets this skeptical look on her face as if it's some foreign substance. I'd understand if it was some strange dish she'd never tried, but she does it even for granola bars, doughnuts, even food she cooked and brings to work for lunch. She doesn't even know she's doing it. She's the only person I've seen doing that so consistently. I also dated a guy in college who was obsessive about the food on his plate always staying separated--that is, no food could run over into another as it sat on the plate. My reaction ("But it's all going to get blended together eventually") made perfect sense to him, but he still wanted everything to have its own place. He would of course take forkfuls of one food or the other in separate bites. I'll bet he loved those compartmentalized plates they use in school cafeterias.
I remember my friend complaining about another's friend's husband who sniffed his food before he ate. She found it very rude and would get so insulted. She said when they had dinner at her house he'd pick up a piece of chicken, look at it, sniff it and then eat it as if he was in fear that he was about to poison himself.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM

12,655 posts, read 12,078,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I hate it when people hold their utensils like this! What is up with that?
I do not see the issue; what is the issue?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post

He looks like a fruitcake to me.......

Men pick that sucker up and take a pull!!
That's your standard for masculinity? Drinking straight from the can? Really?

Once upon a time it was things like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane so France could be saved from the Nazis. Now you're a manly man if you don't use a straw?

Wow. You need to pick it up a notch if you're going to be deciding what's masculine because I know 115 pound sorority sisters who can drink a beer straight from the can.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM

339 posts, read 291,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's your standard for masculinity? Drinking straight from the can? Really?

Once upon a time it was things like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane so France could be saved from the Nazis. Now you're a manly man if you don't use a straw?

Wow. You need to pick it up a notch if you're going to be deciding what's masculine because I know 115 pound sorority sisters who can drink a beer straight from the can.
LOL I haven't even started.

You could put men who cross their legs like women in a dress while they eat down on this list too.

Ick!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or