U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,146,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Hey, that's me.
But it's not about trying to save a few calories.
Regular soda is much too sweet for me, never did enjoy it.
I rarely drink soda unless it's a cheeseburger meal, or with pizza or popcorn. I usually eat very healthy and these things are a once in awhile treat. I always enjoy
A diet soda with these, just like the taste better.
I suppose if you like the taste of a diet drink. I drink the colas with sugar instead of HFCS - they don't seem as sweet to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,155,050 times
Another eating behavior that annoys me...people who have odd eating schedules that most people have difficulty conforming to. Like only eating two meals a day...early...and leaving you starving at dinnertime when you are visiting. My in-laws are extremely conservative Seventh Day Adventist and they adhere to some old health rule they have that it is best for the digestion to eat only twice a day and NEVER in the evening. They eat breakfast, and a late lunch before 2:00. Then NOTHING after that. One year we went to spend Memorial Day with them and I assumed we were going to have a picnic. I asked DH what I should bring, and he said, "Don't bother, we'll just pick up what we need at the Wal-Mart deli." We got there in the afternoon and left later that evening, and there was no food, no mention of any picnic whatsoever. They weren't planning to eat. We had to stop at a Subway on the way home that night because we were starving.

Another time was when we were visiting over a Saturday (which is their Sabbath and they are not allowed to cook). Breakfast was cereal, and lunch was a cold lentil roast sandwich with lettuce and tomato and a fruit salad. I hate lentils, so I had just the tomato and lettuce. By that evening I was STARVING. I wanted to order a pizza, but in respect to their Sabbath, we had to wait until after sundown (which was late because it was summer), and was told, of course, that "it's bad for your digestion to eat so late!" One time, after they had gone to bed, we snuck out to a local joint for a burger (and a couple of beers which I needed by then). My mother-in-law was always a gestapo about her larder...God help you if she caught you looking for any food between meals. I swear she must have kept inventory of every raisin.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-06-2014 at 03:55 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 04:23 AM

33,156 posts, read 39,125,262 times
Perhaps not an actual eating behaviour but i get a bit frustrated with people that go into MacDonalds and hold up the line by taking a half hour to decide what they want on the menu..
Another irritant is people who make moaning noises when they are eating kinda like they are building up to a gastronomical orgasm.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 AM

14,521 posts, read 11,505,888 times
I hate almost everything about eating.. mumpiin. talking with mouth fool of food... slurping drinks.. gulping food. talking while eating.. asking me questions when Im eating.. making noises with a straw at the bottom of a drink... people who let dogs eat with them at the table.... oh dear maybe I should stay home more....

Old 05-06-2014, 05:45 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
People who sit on their phones through a meal when they are not dining alone, and people who claim food allergies when really, it's just a preference.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:47 AM

11,711 posts, read 16,468,880 times
We had a house guest who put her retainer on the counter next to her plate. She was a bit miffed when I requested to have it removed.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 AM

14,521 posts, read 11,505,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We had a house guest who put her retainer on the counter next to her plate. She was a bit miffed when I requested to have it removed.
OH NOOOOOOOOOOO.... how bad is that..

Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 AM

4,581 posts, read 6,148,795 times
YES the people who moan or hum while eating. That irritates the ________ out of me. Ahhhhh shut the ____ up.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 AM

6,952 posts, read 8,886,147 times
I cannot. Frikkin. Stand. people who chew with their mouths open.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:06 PM

5,687 posts, read 2,793,842 times
I'd read through this whole thread, eager to post my hatred of people who grunt/hum/mmm their way through their meal, only to see it posted just three posts prior. But really, I think it's an epidemic.

I typically don't confront strangers about such behavior, but I must have been having a weak moment about a month ago when I was in the snack-mix section of a supermarket I'm in a lot. They have (lidded) bins where you can scoop/bag the amount you want and take it to the registers. I looked up and saw some woman just reach in the peanuts (or whatever it was), grab a handful, then shove them in her mouth. Before I thought better of it, I snapped, "Ma'am, would you please use the scoop if you want to get some of these? I don't know where your hands have been." You'd think I had accused her of murder, but I'll bet she will think twice before dipping her hands in the food.

I've just found that I dislike the "sounds" of food in general. The pouring of liquids in radio commercials (especially beer ads) drives me batty. When I was little there was a morning radio show my mom used to listen to with a lone host who would purposely (done right next to the microphone for effect) pour a cup of coffee, then slurp it loudly and go one to another topic, interrupting to slurp again and again as if he was doing sound effects for a radio soap opera. I wanted to take a baseball bat to that radio in the kitchen even at ten years old.

Similarly, those Kit-Kat commercials where the twenty-somethings are always breaking the wafers of the candy bar repeatedly make me change the channel faster than lightning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or