Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I'd read through this whole thread, eager to post my hatred of people who grunt/hum/mmm their way through their meal, only to see it posted just three posts prior. But really, I think it's an epidemic.

I typically don't confront strangers about such behavior, but I must have been having a weak moment about a month ago when I was in the snack-mix section of a supermarket I'm in a lot. They have (lidded) bins where you can scoop/bag the amount you want and take it to the registers. I looked up and saw some woman just reach in the peanuts (or whatever it was), grab a handful, then shove them in her mouth. Before I thought better of it, I snapped, "Ma'am, would you please use the scoop if you want to get some of these? I don't know where your hands have been." You'd think I had accused her of murder, but I'll bet she will think twice before dipping her hands in the food.

I've just found that I dislike the "sounds" of food in general. The pouring of liquids in radio commercials (especially beer ads) drives me batty. When I was little there was a morning radio show my mom used to listen to with a lone host who would purposely (done right next to the microphone for effect) pour a cup of coffee, then slurp it loudly and go one to another topic, interrupting to slurp again and again as if he was doing sound effects for a radio soap opera. I wanted to take a baseball bat to that radio in the kitchen even at ten years old.

Similarly, those Kit-Kat commercials where the twenty-somethings are always breaking the wafers of the candy bar repeatedly make me change the channel faster than lightning.

How dainty. Now me, I'd just open the wrapper and bite into it. If I don't plan to share it, there's no need to break off sections.

That would be an interesting poll - who breaks off sections of a candy bar and who just bites into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Any patron who attempts to speak with a mouthful of food, so boorish.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM

253 posts, read 228,728 times
I can't stand diet trends. My biggest pet peeve is all of the people suddenly not eating gluten even though they aren't allergic to it.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I know it should not matter, but I can't help but feel miffed if someone accepts an invitation to dine out, let's say for pizza, and they only eat the cheese because they are dietting!@! or they order hot wings and leave most of the meat on the bone!
Duh, why did they accept the invitation if they were going to ditch half the food?

Or they constantly demand what I feel is excessive service (this is too cold, this is not cooked enough, this tastes burnt, I need more ice, there's too much ice, can you substitute potatoes anna for the fries, can I have extra hollandaise sauce ...in a cup.. on the side.. reheated.. to go, ad nauseum ad infinitum).

I am not a pushover but there are limits!

AREN'T there?
I agree.In todays' world, wasting food is an abomination.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Talking with a mouth full of food and smacking/chewing with mouth open gets me. Also taking large slurps out of soup bowl.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
well, I know I eat too fast - years of military indoctrination! So I am making an effort to sloooooowwww down.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
teenagers who turn up the condiment bottle and pour half of it out onto their food when a couple tablespoons is more than enough.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I agree.In todays' world, wasting food is an abomination.

I've been seeing this every day at the school cafeteria where I work since the government mandated the new lunch guidelines. The students are told they "must" put a piece of fruit on their tray. So they take that apple, orange, banana, cellophane wrapped pineapple chunk, etc. and pitch it in the trash before they even take their seat. Ditto those yummy (being sarcastic here) legumes (beans) we are now required to serve. I've dumped enough of those down the garbage disposal to feed a third world country.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
teenagers who turn up the condiment bottle and pour half of it out onto their food when a couple tablespoons is more than enough.

We have a condiment station in the school cafeteria with packets of mayo, mustard, ketchup, and ranch dressing. We have to fill up the ranch dressing packets every half hour. The kids smother that mandatory salad they are forced to take with TONS of it. At least they're eating the salad, or some of it. Plenty still goes down the garvage disposal. They also put ranch dressing on fries, onion rings, pizza, garlic bread sticks, etc. God bless 'em if we are forced to put restrictions on that.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:34 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Any patron who attempts to speak with a mouthful of food, so boorish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WrkdTrrwew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink