Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Like Kitchen Nightmares, Restaurant Impossible or Restaurant Redemption.
I've looked into a few of the restaurants, but none are yet to be close enough to me.

I have been to Hot Doug's in Chicago (Food Paradise, and many others); The Porthole (Portland, ME...can't remember the show...Diners, Drive-ins..., perhaps); The Eagle in Boston (Man vs. Food); Charm City Cakes (Ace of Cakes) in Baltimore; Duckfat in Portland, ME. (Chopped), Becky's Diner in Portland, ME. (Diners, Drive ins...); Maine Diner in...Maine (Diners, Drive ins...); Boston Burger Co....in...Boston (Diners, Drive ins...); Bryant Lake Bowl in Minneapolis (Diners, Drive ins...); Gastofs in Minneapolis (Man vs. Food); Matt's Bar in Minneapolis (Man vs. Food); Nye's in Minneapolis (Diners, Drive ins...); Psycho Suzi's in Minneapolis (used to work there) in Minneapolis (Diners, Drive ins...); The Modern in Minneapolis (Diners, Drive ins...); The Wienery in Minneapolis (knew the owner) (Diners, Drive ins...); Pinks Hot Dogs in Los Angeles (Food Paradise); probably a few more.

I also worked at a restaurant where Rachel Ray filmed an episode of $40 a Day. I'll just say that tipping is not a part of that $40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Many of the triple D restaurants in California and Nevada.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Long before they were featured on Restaurant Impossible, I had eaten a few breakfasts at The Wagon Wheel in Smyrna, Delaware. The first few times were really good. Right before RI came in, I had breakfast there and it was inedible. Never have gone back. It is really a shame, because I like local places like that but family in-fighting can really ruin any business.

I have also eaten several breakfasts at Broadway Diner in Baltimore, featured on Triple D. Food was good as well as the service.

In Bermuda, we stopped at Swizzle Inn, which was on RR's $40 a Day. Terrible food and service.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I've been to The Melt Bar and Grilled in Cleveland. We made a special trip from Indianapolis to dine there after we saw it on Man vs Food.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Laurier BBQ.
Gordon Ramsay never should have tried to fix what wasn't broken.

Also, several of Anthony Bourdain's Quebec featured restos on Parts Unknown.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:26 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
I've eaten at many of the restaurants in Hawaii shown on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Murphy's Bar & Grill
Rainbow Drive-In
Highway Inn
Hank's Haute Dogs
Fresh Catch
He'eia Kea Pier General Store & Deli
Big Wave Shrimp

Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 PM

351 posts, read 587,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I've eaten at many of the restaurants in Hawaii shown on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dive
Me too!

Murphy's Bar & Grill
Rainbow Drive-In
Highway Inn
Hank's Haute Dogs
He'eia Kea Pier
Jawaiian Irie Jerk Restaurant

My black friend insisted on taking me out to dinner on my birthday and I felt kind of bad because although our birthdays are only a week apart, I didn't do anything for her besides giving her a card.

Anyway, she took me to the Jawaiian Irie Jerk Restaurant and said the food was just as authentic as the food cooked by her Jamaican friend back in her home state of Arizona.

We shared spicy jerk chicken wings for an appetizer, I had jerk pork for my entree with festival bread and everything was delicious! BTW, I tried to rep you, but I have to spread it around... LOL

Last edited by Honolulu21; 05-03-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 04:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I've eaten at many of the restaurants in Hawaii shown on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
Before he hit the big time, Guy Fieri taught my oldest how to make pizza on a slow day at the Johnny Garlic's in Petaluma, California. He used to haul a trailer up to the Santa Rosa Farmer's Market, and one of his offerings was salmon on a plank, which was pretty extravagant for street fair food. My husband got it often, along with an order of garlic fries. They were to die for but definitely came back to haunt you! Fieri also had a place called Tex Wasabi's on Fourth Street, which was different...kind of like Guy. I don't know if it's still around. (Edit: looks like it is.) I recall Fieri being extremely kind, if more than a little bit hyper. My kids loved him.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-04-2014 at 05:11 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I've gotten the Chicken Conquistador at Zunzi's in Savannah. It was in the running for Top Sandwich in the US on the Travel Channel. It was either 2nd or 3rd.

I've also gone to Michael Simon's restaurant, Lola's, in Cleveland.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
On Friday, I had lunch at Big Mama's Restaurant in Omaha, NE for the third time. Very excellent food prepared by a caring staff that was featured on Diners, Drive-in and Dives. The Afro-burger is a unique dish with a good, spicy kick.

I am up to 15 Triple D restaurants and most of them have been above.

Closer to home, I ate three times at Angelo's in Woodstock, IL prior to Restaurant Impossible. The food was consistently so bad that I would not even try the resurrected restaurant. It has since closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink