U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 AM
 
1,167 posts, read 1,039,303 times
Reputation: 2136

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if you come in one of my stores and say this on a commercial, i'll give you 20lbs of chuck stew

good post!!
Don't tempt me! I'm not that far from Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 AM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
16,936 posts, read 17,180,377 times
Reputation: 10791
I use Chuck and don't trim mine, but I like fat, since if feeds the brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Deep In The Heart of Texas
1,568 posts, read 1,192,166 times
Reputation: 2907
Stew meat works for me. I don't eat a lot of red meat and this way I can buy a small pkg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,542 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Reputation: 57189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Sirloin cut into 1" cubes or bigger that fill the bottom off a stock pot. Coat in all purpose flour, pepper, salt, fresh garlic and rosemary(add your own seasoning here). Fry the meat in a stock pot until brown in several tablespoons of any oil. Best to use olive oil and a little butter for flavor and browning. When the flower is browned and the meat is medium rare cooked add enough water to make a stew. Do not overcook the meat! Then add vegetables like carrots, cubed potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli. Add whatever you like!. Bring everything to a slight boil and then reduce heat and let simmer on low for several hours. Personally elk meat is the best stew I have ever had but not everybody has access to elk.
This wouldn't be stew. There is no earthly reason to use sirloin for stew. You say to simmer for a few hours, but don't overcook the meat? Huh? I also wouldn't flour the meat because it will burn before the meat is seared. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Reputation: 9699
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I use London Broil which is flank steak or top sirloin. It is easier to cut up than a roast and easier to trim most of the fat. I too dredge in flour and then brown it in olive oil and a little butter with minced garlic and onions. Then I add the water, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.

I have also done a "quick" stew after a holiday meal when I serve boneless leg of lamb. I put the potatoes on first and bring the water to a boil for about 20 minutes. Then I take the leftover lamb, cut it into chunks and put it in with the potatoes and add canned sliced carrots, and spices and lower to a simmer. I use canned beef stock to flavor the water and add a flour and water roux to thicken it. It is done in about another 20 minutes.
You use perfectly good flank steak on stew? What a waste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 02:27 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
Reputation: 11918
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I usually buy the stew meat already cut, but if I find a deal on chuck roast I'll do that instead. It's gonna cook low and slow anyway so it will become more tender as it cooks. You do want a bit of fat on it though and it's really important to dredge in flour and salt/pepper and brown it first, IMHO.
This.

Always.

I was in love with my slow cooker until it got packed in storage so I had to go the old fashioned way on the stove top (I love beef stews, curries, etc).

Brown in seasoned flour first - it's essential for flavour.

Shin beef has the most flavour of all beef, anyone who is using round or even chuck for their stews is missing out IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 PM
 
854 posts, read 898,201 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This wouldn't be stew. There is no earthly reason to use sirloin for stew. You say to simmer for a few hours, but don't overcook the meat? Huh? I also wouldn't flour the meat because it will burn before the meat is seared. To each his own.
How is this not stew? Just because you use a better cut of meat doesn't mean it's not stew. I meant to not overcook the meat when you are browning it, that tends to make it tough. You make a roux with the butter, oil meat drippings as the meat cooks in it. The flour just adds flavor because it soaks up some of the oils and makes a nice brown crispy coating. The flour falls off the meat when you add the water and optional beef stock making a thicker consistency. It is a common way to make stew used around the world. To me if you don't put flour in it you just have watery soup. The question was what meat is the best for hearty beef stew? Elk sirloin hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 PM
 
17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Reputation: 31223
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
How is this not stew? Just because you use a better cut of meat doesn't mean it's not stew. I meant to not overcook the meat when you are browning it, that tends to make it tough. You make a roux with the butter, oil meat drippings as the meat cooks in it. The flour just adds flavor because it soaks up some of the oils and makes a nice brown crispy coating. The flour falls off the meat when you add the water and optional beef stock making a thicker consistency. It is a common way to make stew used around the world. To me if you don't put flour in it you just have watery soup. The question was what meat is the best for hearty beef stew? Elk sirloin hands down.
i once had a lady ask me to cut her a whole filet mignon for stew meat,,,i suggested something different ..she said nope,,thats what she wants..
money was not an issue

she also fed this tenderloin stew to her cat.... and little dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
Reputation: 11918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i once had a lady ask me to cut her a whole filet mignon for stew meat,,,i suggested something different ..she said nope,,thats what she wants..
money was not an issue

she also fed this tenderloin stew to her cat.... and little dog
MBM I'm getting a bit tingly when you are talking about cutting your meat...

I used to love the smell of butchers when I was little.

I remember calling the local butcher and asking him if he kept dripping!

He was a dad in the neighbourhood and thought it was funny. God alone knows how often the poor guy got that particular call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM
 
854 posts, read 898,201 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i once had a lady ask me to cut her a whole filet mignon for stew meat,,,i suggested something different ..she said nope,,thats what she wants..
money was not an issue

she also fed this tenderloin stew to her cat.... and little dog
I think for stew you can use any meat you want honestly. It all depends on how you cook it that makes a hearty stew. I just think sirloin has a nice amount of fat but not to much and the meat is usually more tender. If money is an issue, I would be buying the cheapest cuts I could find. It's funny she was feeding the stew to her animals. I guess they ate pretty good for a couple of potlickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top