U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:21 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,673,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i once had a lady ask me to cut her a whole filet mignon for stew meat,,,i suggested something different ..she said nope,,thats what she wants..
money was not an issue

she also fed this tenderloin stew to her cat.... and little dog
How much do butchers charge for an entire cow? My husband is on a medication that causes him to be borderline anemic so we've upped his red meat. I don't have much experience with it though. He thinks we can consume an entire cow (cut up and frozen of course) in six months. I think he's gone off the deep end! More like six years for me. The best news he has gotten in a long time is that he's slightly anemic and can up is red meat, I don't cook red meat but twice a month, now we're up to three times a week.

I went with the rib meat; they're nice and marbled. I'm going to sear it with flour, salt and pepper in olive oil, then use a little beef stock to scrape up the bottom bits. Then will toss it in a crock pot to cook with about 8 cups of beef stock (hope that's not too much), the rib meat, can of mushroom soup, two diced large potatoes, green beans, onion, onion soup mix, garlic, and mushrooms 6 to 8 hours tomorrow. Hope it turns out; thanks for the ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 04:42 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
How much do butchers charge for an entire cow? My husband is on a medication that causes him to be borderline anemic so we've upped his red meat. I don't have much experience with it though. He thinks we can consume an entire cow (cut up and frozen of course) in six months. I think he's gone off the deep end! More like six years for me. The best news he has gotten in a long time is that he's slightly anemic and can up is red meat, I don't cook red meat but twice a month, now we're up to three times a week.

I went with the rib meat; they're nice and marbled. I'm going to sear it with flour, salt and pepper in olive oil, then use a little beef stock to scrape up the bottom bits. Then will toss it in a crock pot to cook with about 8 cups of beef stock (hope that's not too much), the rib meat, can of mushroom soup, two diced large potatoes, green beans, onion, onion soup mix, garlic, and mushrooms 6 to 8 hours tomorrow. Hope it turns out; thanks for the ideas.
You could try "liver pills" (pill size cut up bits of liver stored in the freezer) to get more iron in him. I know this seems a bit weird in concept, but it's great in practice! I don't care for liver at all except in small amounts of pate on occasion, but this way is great and you don't have to actually taste it.

The Easiest Way to Eat Liver: DIY Liver Pills

Old 05-03-2014, 05:06 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,673,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
You could try "liver pills" (pill size cut up bits of liver stored in the freezer) to get more iron in him. I know this seems a bit weird in concept, but it's great in practice! I don't care for liver at all except in small amounts of pate on occasion, but this way is great and you don't have to actually taste it.

The Easiest Way to Eat Liver: DIY Liver Pills
This is a neat idea, I never knew this existed. I was going to try to find a way to 'sneak' liver into his diet while he's on these medications because its about the number one natural source of iron (and he refuses it). I personally love cooked liver, I grew up in it. I would feel weird about the rawness, though. Thank you for the tip.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:14 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:

how much??

i will pm you

Old 05-03-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
This is a neat idea, I never knew this existed. I was going to try to find a way to 'sneak' liver into his diet while he's on these medications because its about the number one natural source of iron (and he refuses it). I personally love cooked liver, I grew up in it. I would feel weird about the rawness, though. Thank you for the tip.
You could cook it if you're weirded out by the rawness, but it will lose some of its goodness. I don't think you'd lose enough to make it not worthwhile though. You could cook and then purée it similar to a pate then freeze and chop it into little pieces then put it back in the freezer again. Give it a try!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,363,024 times
Quote:

Milo is extremely high in iron.

It is also crunchy and delicious and easily absorbed.

I worked with a girl who had chronic anemia due to stomach problems and her doctor told her to have a mug of milo every day. It worked wonders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_(drink)

Old 05-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Milo is extremely high in iron.

It is also crunchy and delicious and easily absorbed.

I worked with a girl who had chronic anemia due to stomach problems and her doctor told her to have a mug of milo every day. It worked wonders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_(drink)
I loved Milo growing up. It pains me greatly that it's made by Nestle so I won't buy it anymore.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:48 PM

405 posts, read 500,707 times
Beef shank will give the heartiest beef flavor. It lends itself to long and slow moist heat - a process that is designed for tougher cuts.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,360,941 times
Add quite a bit of red wine while cooking the beef for the stew.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:48 PM

351 posts, read 435,353 times
Default Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Add quite a bit of red wine while cooking the beef for the stew.
Red wine goes really well with cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix. I would add a 1/2 cup of burgundy wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or