U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,690,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
That's a lot of beef for one person in six months. You could probably eat it all if you only ate beef for six months straight. I imagine your digestive tract wouldn't like it very much.

By the way that recipe sounds delicious, I will have to try it!
I thought so too. My husband has been deprived of red meat, I think he's just excited he gets to eat it again. One cow in six months definitely could cause problems.

It turned out great. Very thick, rich and full of flavor. The cut of beef was perfect. I admit I got some ideas from this thread.

The only thing I would do differently, is to save at least one potato to dice up and put in one hour before serving so some potatoes are a little more firm. About 30% of the potato melted into the stew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 07:42 PM

13,730 posts, read 22,893,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Not a waste at all. London Broil is almost always cheaper than packaged stew meat, at least in my neighborhood grocery stores, and I can control the amount of fat I leave on the meat. It is a time saver in that it is already the right thickness to cut up into chunks, and it is always tender in the stew. I have never in my decades of cooking family meals had a complaint, more like lots of compliments on my beef stew. I usually make a good size batch because the leftovers the next day or two taste even better! As everyone else has said, you can use whatever you want if it appeals to you. Why would it be a waste if everyone likes it and it all gets eaten up???

A agree that using flank steak for stew would be a terrible waste of money.

In the US, most of what is MARKETED as LONDON BROIL is either top round or bottom round. It would NOT be my first choice for a beef stew as it lacks a lot of intermuscular fat.

Personally, I would prefer to use chuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or