Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times

Advertisements

Another vote for our friend, Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 PM

351 posts, read 587,006 times
Short ribs with the bone in if possible. The marrow in the bone makes the stew richer in taste. I have used chuck too, but I prefer the results I get using short ribs.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,644 times
Sirloin cut into 1" cubes or bigger that fill the bottom off a stock pot. Coat in all purpose flour, pepper, salt, fresh garlic and rosemary(add your own seasoning here). Fry the meat in a stock pot until brown in several tablespoons of any oil. Best to use olive oil and a little butter for flavor and browning. When the flower is browned and the meat is medium rare cooked add enough water to make a stew. Do not overcook the meat! Then add vegetables like carrots, cubed potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli. Add whatever you like!. Bring everything to a slight boil and then reduce heat and let simmer on low for several hours. Personally elk meat is the best stew I have ever had but not everybody has access to elk.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Meat prices are high, but I want to make a flavor full beef stew this weekend. What are some good cuts of meat and what can give it flavor and thickness? (I never make this). Thanks for any ideas.

Our grocery has a specific meat that is cut into chunks that they have labeled "Stew Beef". I'm not sure what it is exactly but it is a bit on the expensive side per pound but very flavorful.

I take that and put it in the freezer as soon as I get home. When I am ready to make the stew I put all of the other ingredients in the pot, then the meat still frozen in the pot. Then I turn it on very low fire and as the stew cooks, the meat cooks and all of the flavor of the meat as it is cooking goes into the stew.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,925 times
I use London Broil which is flank steak or top sirloin. It is easier to cut up than a roast and easier to trim most of the fat. I too dredge in flour and then brown it in olive oil and a little butter with minced garlic and onions. Then I add the water, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.

I have also done a "quick" stew after a holiday meal when I serve boneless leg of lamb. I put the potatoes on first and bring the water to a boil for about 20 minutes. Then I take the leftover lamb, cut it into chunks and put it in with the potatoes and add canned sliced carrots, and spices and lower to a simmer. I use canned beef stock to flavor the water and add a flour and water roux to thicken it. It is done in about another 20 minutes.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Our grocery has a specific meat that is cut into chunks that they have labeled "Stew Beef". I'm not sure what it is exactly but it is a bit on the expensive side per pound but very flavorful.

I take that and put it in the freezer as soon as I get home. When I am ready to make the stew I put all of the other ingredients in the pot, then the meat still frozen in the pot. Then I turn it on very low fire and as the stew cooks, the meat cooks and all of the flavor of the meat as it is cooking goes into the stew.
i can tell you whats labelled "stew beef "in a grocery store or butcher shop

these are just pieces of primals that cant be labelled as steaks, or tougher parts of the primals (beef muscles) that will be really tough unless it is cooked as stew beef, or a slower cooking method
its better to get the most stew meat you can from pieces, than throw into burger stock (get higher retails for stew than burger)

its ironic, most on here will say they cut up chuck steaks/roasts- but if i were to cut up the typical chuck roast in pieces and call it "stew meat" it would look too fatty and not sell for most of the customers at a store- thats why you see mostly lean stew meat pieces from rounds- some stores still display a chuck stew and a round/lean stew - the leaner stuff will sell 10-1 in these parts.
most on here are foodies, that "get" you need some fat for flavor
the food nazis have gotten to many women, that if they see any fat at all, they wont buy that package of meat ( i work in butcher shops/grocery stores)

I've cut and displayed chuck stew specifically from the chuck steaks/roasts and have a row of lean stew meat next to it- again, 10-1 most customer will buy the leaner/dryer stew pieces
im pleased to see so many on here would buy some marbled stew pieces.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:03 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,389 times
Yeah, I look for the fatty, stringy, cheap looking meat that turns melt in your mouth tender after a good long stewing. That's the point of a stew!

I'm not going to waste a good cut of meat like sirloin in a dish like that.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:20 AM

487 posts, read 748,414 times
Round is not a cut for long cooking times. You want chuck. Chuck is what you get when you buy stew meat.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
You've all given me some good ideas here, thank you.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Yeah, I look for the fatty, stringy, cheap looking meat that turns melt in your mouth tender after a good long stewing. That's the point of a stew!
I'm not going to waste a good cut of meat like sirloin in a dish like that.
if you come in one of my stores and say this on a commercial, i'll give you 20lbs of chuck stew

good post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink