Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:48 PM

93 posts, read 325,997 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've really liked chili all my life, but I can't cook to save my life.

So recently, I convinced my wife lately that she should try it, and she agreed.

When I started spooning out my chili, though, I was thoroughly confused... The meat was in chunks, rather than ground beef like I was accustomed to...

Now, it was good, no debate there... but I'd simply never seen chili done that way... and now, having tried both, I like the texture better with ground.

So, I started googling recipes and found that they seem to be about 70/30 ground/chunks... I honestly had no idea chunked beef in chili was so common!?

So what do you guys think? Anybody like chunks better? Am I dismissing a good thing too quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,391 times
Something we love to do is get brisket ends ground up for our chili - not fine, more coarsely ground and chunky, but it's wonderful. You can ask your butcher, any meat market, and some grocery stores and they'll do it for you.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:58 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Personally I prefer the hamburger. Probably because this is what I have always had! I love the way "I" make chili and it was using hamburger. I know there are many other ways and probably just as good but this is what I am familiar with. It's all about familiarity once again. It's hard to change what's in your mind what chile is. Does that make any sense?? Anyhow, that's how I feel.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
To me growing up on the Mexican boarder I tend to like it with good quality chunks of beef. I just don't like hamburger meat in anything but burgers anyway, and of coarse grinding yourself or picking a cut of beef and having the butcher grind it for you is always safest and freshest anyway. I like the Mexican dish called Chili Colorado, to me that is the grandfather of what we know of as "chili". The chili with ground beef and kidney beans is kind of a Tex-Mex dish. Many chili cook-off rules won't allow beans and that reflects the mexican roots of our common chili.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I do both- a very course ground beef and then beef cubes. And everything else is chunky- onion, tomato, peppers, etc- and I keep it thick. You'd be tempted to eat it with a fork, but use a spoon...

Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I prefer it with chopped beef, I like the texture better, it feels more like a proper dish than a "stew" so to speak and the taste of beef is more pronounced in chunks than mince IMO.
Every time I have had it in Mexico it has been in chunks, maybe it is more Tex-Mex than Mexican with minced beef ?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Chili with beans is not tex-mex -- the locals around here would shoot anybody for suggesting it!

I grew up on Cincinnati-style chili made by my midwestern bred mother -- ground beef, kidney beans, a can of beer, etc. It is delicious. My m-i-l from LA makes chili with big beef chunks, no beans, and serves it with bowl after bowl of toppings ( green onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, olives, lettuce, tomato, salsa, guacamole and more I can't think of!). This is also delicious. She serves it with flour tortillas so it's basically make-your-own-burrito bar.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
I'd prefer mine coarse ground (ground up twice with coarse ground plate on meat grinder)
Had it also in Cancun/ Mexico, where it was way coarser then I do mine.
(They probably only ground it up once, through the coarse ground plate in the grinder)
I use a lot of different beans in mine (and not only kidney!), and add CRUSHED FRESH TOMATOES......which make it taste so much better.
I like to experiment around a lot, using my husband as a "guinea pig".....LOL.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
My first boyfriend (when I was 17) sent me a postcard from Texas while traveling cross-country, and it had a recipe for "authentic Texas chili" - it included cubed beef, not ground. I tried the recipe and have been hooked ever since.

I am always wary of anything that is made by someone I don't know that includes ground beef (meatloaf, burgers, chili, tacos, etc.) - with the cubed beef you can at least see if there is something you would not want to eat. Once it's all ground up, who knows what's in there, and what sort of safehandling it has been subjected to. If you're wondering - yes, I do grind my own.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:36 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
My first boyfriend (when I was 17) sent me a postcard from Texas while traveling cross-country, and it had a recipe for "authentic Texas chili" - it included cubed beef, not ground. I tried the recipe and have been hooked ever since.
Soo........ are you going to pass it on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink