U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 AM

351 posts, read 439,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
My go to soy sauce is San-J Tamari. Reason, I learned "Japanese !,000 Year Old Sauce" recipe, in Japan and that's what she used. I also have "Aloha Shoyu" which presents a quandary, Honolulu21. It clearly states on my 32 oz. bottle THAT: "Hawaii's Favorite Since 1946." Lastly, I always have a bottle of "ABC" sweet soy sauce around. This is also known as "Kecap Manis" or Indonesian sweet soy sauce. It may be similar to your Koon Chun, it's as thick as molasses too but uses palm sugar. Great finish on Texas BBQ!

As an afterthought: The Indonesian cuisine was good and varied as any great food culture I've experienced but we seldom see Indonesian restaurants except in LA or NYC.
I"ll probably be flamed by other people on this forum who were also born and raised in Hawaii like I was, BUT I can't stand Aloha Shoyu!

Like I said before, I was raised on Diamond soy sauce, and Aloha has a completely different taste. AFAIK, no authentic chinese, korean or japanese restaurant uses that soy sauce in Honolulu. It's popular with local people in general who are native hawaiians, portugese, puerto ricans, mixed race, etc.. But not with people who cook authentic asian cuisine.

The ingredient listed on Koon Chun's thick soy sauce is molasses, not palm sugar. I do know through my dutch friends that Kecap Manis is very popular in Holland.

There was an Indonesian restaurant "Bali Indonesia Restaurant" on the outskirts of Waikiki that I went to a few times and really liked. I had nasi goreng, gado gado and other things. It was popular, but unfortunately it has closed.

Bali Indonesia Restaurant in Honolulu, HI - Reviews and Directions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 PM

11,895 posts, read 7,854,903 times
Kikkoman is a company, what I dislike is their American soy sauce taste so bland. It's almost like salt and water just slightly tangy and bitter.

Kikkoman makes a wonderful seasoning soy sauce made with fermented soy that's aged. It's got a very savory taste and light in salt content because it has the natural umami flavor that many Asians prefer as seasoning.

You can stir fry with this version of kikkoman soy sauce but with the American version it taste like crap when use as a stir fry sauce.

This bottle costs about $15 while the American ver costs about $6 for the same liter size.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,414,812 times
I like both Kikkoman and La Choy but I use low sodium. I use soy sauce in a lot of things which don't even call for it. I never use a lot when I'm adding it when not called for as it can taste bitter and overwhelm a dish very easily. I use it in Ramen noodles, bok choy slaw, sometimes to steamed vegetables, and I have even added just a tiny touch to beef stew before.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 AM

7,170 posts, read 6,042,582 times
hyvee soy sauce as it's gluten free and cheap. No reason to use any other brand.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,009,125 times
I usually have two - Yamasa Marudaizu and Tamari. Every now and then I'll get a bottle of Shirojoyu for specific dishes.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM

8,765 posts, read 8,751,122 times
The cheapest soy sauces are made with hydrolyzed soy protein, corn syrup, and/or caramel coloring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink