Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,804,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I have a recipe for a flourless cake that is FABULOUS! Quite a production to make though, so it's a once a year event at my house. It's delicious though, so it's worth it. The recipe calls for a springform pan, sprayed, then parchment paper inside it, which you also spray. Ever try to keep square slippery parchment paper flat inside a slippery round springform pan to pour chocolate batter into it? What a mess...Last year I pulled it off. This year, um, no.

I just cut the parchment into a circle to fit the pan, before spraying it. Or you can buy circles, sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:37 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,293,396 times
My local grocery store has stations where they cook food and hand out samples with the recipes.
Things like lobster risotto, bison with pea puree and salmon in a buttery maple sauce.
The recipes are virtually foolproof and the results astounding.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:39 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,873,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I just cut the parchment into a circle to fit the pan, before spraying it. Or you can buy circles, sometimes.
I THOUGHT of that, but it's supposed to be on the sides too. Maybe spraying the sides would be good enough. We're re-doing our kitchen right now, and when we were looking for tile or stone for the backsplash, my husband gravitated more towards natural stone, but I insisted we had to have something washable. He would say "Well, how messy can the back splash get??" I told him obviously he wasn't home when I was making the Valentine Day's cake!!!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,804,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I THOUGHT of that, but it's supposed to be on the sides too. Maybe spraying the sides would be good enough. We're re-doing our kitchen right now, and when we were looking for tile or stone for the backsplash, my husband gravitated more towards natural stone, but I insisted we had to have something washable. He would say "Well, how messy can the back splash get??" I told him obviously he wasn't home when I was making the Valentine Day's cake!!!
How to line a cake tin with baking parchment - from Delia Online Scroll down past the square pan and you'll see how they do a round one

Old 05-07-2014, 09:35 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,670,177 times
I learned no matter how great you may think itll turn out dont EVER add ground cinnamon to waffle mix. Feel free to put it on your waffles after theyre made but not before.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 AM

23,145 posts, read 28,915,048 times
The reason I agonize over selecting a winner recipe is due to the times I tried a recipe that I thought was going to be a disaster and it was a smashing success; then, other times, I really thought I had found the recipe of my dreams, and it turned out to be nothing but!

You really need to have your imagination, in full gear, when looking at recipes!

Old 05-08-2014, 11:16 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,873,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
How to line a cake tin with baking parchment - from Delia Online Scroll down past the square pan and you'll see how they do a round one
Thanks!!
I hope I remember how to do that by next Valentine's Day!!

Old 05-09-2014, 04:32 PM

19,263 posts, read 15,148,714 times
My homemade mayo didn't quite gel (literally).

When I first started cooking, I made my first meatloaf. This old handwritten recipe I was using said to add 3 Tbsp. of salt or something ridiculous like that. (It was obviously a typo.) I thought, That CAN'T be right. I adjusted it way down, but when we tried it, it still burned our tongue. We couldn't even eat it. I've never heard the end of that one.

~~~~~~~~~~

We used to have a rule that we would first try the recipe exactly as it was written, and then make adjustments for the next time.

Not anymore. I'm tired of saying, "I KNEW that wasn't going to work!"

Old 05-09-2014, 05:34 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,293,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
My homemade mayo didn't quite gel (literally).

When I first started cooking, I made my first meatloaf. This old handwritten recipe I was using said to add 3 Tbsp. of salt or something ridiculous like that. (It was obviously a typo.) I thought, That CAN'T be right. I adjusted it way down, but when we tried it, it still burned our tongue. We couldn't even eat it. I've never heard the end of that one.

~~~~~~~~~~

We used to have a rule that we would first try the recipe exactly as it was written, and then make adjustments for the next time.

Not anymore. I'm tired of saying, "I KNEW that wasn't going to work!"
My brother-in-law decided to surprise his new wife with dinner on the table. He couldn't cook to save his life, but figured 'How hard can it be with a recipe?'
He settled on something that sounded delicious from a French cookbook. In French.
The directions called for one 'c' of salt. He figured it was the same in French and English, so added one cup of salt.
A 'c' in French is a spoonful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink