U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:39 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

I decided to try a recipe I found in the Food Lion flyer (1st mistake)
I looked it over and said "That sounds good and simple" (2nd mistake)
I didn't compare it to other recipes for the same thing (3rd mistake)

It was for Chicken parmesan and called for mixing a can each of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and some parmesan, cooking for 30 minutes 6 chicken breast in this mixture, top with mozzarella cheese and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve over spaghetti.

At 30 minutes I could tell chicken wasn't done so I let it go for another 10-15 minutes while i made the pasta and topped chicken with mozzarella. Then I put it over the spaghetti and tried to cut it. of course chicken was still raw.

While I know boneless chicken breast will cook in 30 minutes of course it won't cook in all that sauce! What was I thinking? Family was hungry so I spooned the sauce over the spaghetti. They ate it but we were all disappointed. And it was late to begin with.

Then I looked up my usual chicken parmesan recipe (I haven't made it quite some time) and said "How could I have been so simple minded. Of course chicken parmesan is breaded and cooked in the frying pan and then serve with sauce and cheese."

Tonight I will thoroughly cook the chicken and do something with it. Not sure what yet.

What has been a colossal fail for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,280,195 times
I saw this recipie for a flour less cake.
The picture was beautiful!!!!
I don't have good luck with egg whites, folding, springform pans.
It was horrible. Flat, heavy, tasteless...not like the pic at all.
So, I cut it into square pieces, made a blueberry, strawberry compote, and brought the whip cream to add flavor and height.
Layered it in individual pretty cups, served with crushed pistachios on top.
It was ok, not what I had expected.
I was bummed, because I was assigned the dessert
For the dinner.
I didn't think it was my best.

So, to also save face, I baked some fudge brownies, made macaroons, and a toffee bark to detract from the flour less cake.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:19 AM

3,321 posts, read 3,563,135 times
I have a recipe for a flourless cake that is FABULOUS! Quite a production to make though, so it's a once a year event at my house. It's delicious though, so it's worth it. The recipe calls for a springform pan, sprayed, then parchment paper inside it, which you also spray. Ever try to keep square slippery parchment paper flat inside a slippery round springform pan to pour chocolate batter into it? What a mess...Last year I pulled it off. This year, um, no.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 AM

I'm sure even the most experienced cooks have a fail from time to time. But it is especially bad when it is for friends or a social event. I learned a long time ago never to try a new recipe for a special occasion.

That's one reason why I like the recipes on line where folks can give reviews. That means I let the other before me tweak it or tell me it won't work. I usually look on line for a recipe, print it out and then read all the reviews and make notes from their suggestions like "Next time I'll use less sugar" or "This didn't make enough to feed my family of 4" or "Worse recipe I ever tried"

It tickles me to read some of these recipe comments. One person will declare it was perfect just as printed while another will say it was inedible. Seems like most cooks like to embellish most savory recipes but stick pretty close to sweet ones. Baking is so much more precise than cooking.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:24 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,280,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I have a recipe for a flourless cake that is FABULOUS! Quite a production to make though, so it's a once a year event at my house. It's delicious though, so it's worth it. The recipe calls for a springform pan, sprayed, then parchment paper inside it, which you also spray. Ever try to keep square slippery parchment paper flat inside a slippery round springform pan to pour chocolate batter into it? What a mess...Last year I pulled it off. This year, um, no.
Same here. Only once a year for Passover!!!
I will try something different next year, or volunteer for another dish!!!
I think it had to do with my "folding and whipping" egg white technique.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
50-75% of recipes are NOT tested before they are published. That might not have been an issue a generation ago when more people were accomplished cooks.

OP - I think that the recipe from the Food Lion ad would have worked had it called for dredging the breasts through flour and sauteing them in olive oil before adding them into the sauce.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm sure even the most experienced cooks have a fail from time to time. But it is especially bad when it is for friends or a social event. I learned a long time ago never to try a new recipe for a special occasion.

It tickles me to read some of these recipe comments. One person will declare it was perfect just as printed while another will say it was inedible. Seems like most cooks like to embellish most savory recipes but stick pretty close to sweet ones. Baking is so much more precise than cooking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
50-75% of recipes are NOT tested before they are published. That might not have been an issue a generation ago when more people were accomplished cooks.
Sorry for your experience but it happens every now and then to most people. I seldom go online anymore
for the very reasons jlawrence posted. There have been times when I would see something online and
knew something wasn't going to work (since I've been cooking and baking for 38 years).
I rely on my prized old cookbooks and if I do want to try something new, I'll check out information from
established cooks like Julia Child.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
You never mentioned the oven temp.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:45 AM

350 for 30 minutes. and these were pretty meaty breasts.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,207,172 times
I made the most foul, appalling pasta dish ever imagined in the entire universe back in July 2007. I went to a fresh market to get fish, meat etc... and made a sauce, and boiled some Spaghetti. Pretty much nothing worked together, and it tasted like bleedin' battery acid. Both of us couldn't eat more than a couple of bites. It was dreadful beyond words. We chucked it on the floor and a stray cat came along. It tried some, and walked off. Oh, and this was in.... Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink