U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:15 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
With summer just around the corner, I thought it would be interesting to take a close look at the ingredients in the all American hot dog. Here's an interesting source that lists all the ingredients on several popular brand of hot dogs:

http://www.labelwatch.com/prod_resul...502500&level=3

The first one listed looks the least offensive to me, although I like Apple Gate hot dogs.

What do you guys think?
Oscar Meyer used to make a 100% "all natural" angus dog that was hands down the best name brand hot dog that I have ever tasted and one of the best period. It seems to have been replaced by the one listed at the top of the list, which is a great hot dog as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Hebrew national franks followed by Sabaret. Any other brand is just garbage.
Hebrew National makes a great dog, too, and they are definitely up there in terms of name brands and taste. They are similar to the Oscar Meyer dogs mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Jesus.
For what it is worth there are many food items that Americans eat everyday that most would be grossed out if they saw it being produced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM

9,863 posts, read 8,979,797 times
I never read the ingredients because then I wouldn't eat hot dogs. I buy all beef but that is probably beef lips, butts, tails, eyeballs and eyelids. So I stay clear of the ingredients. I watch ingredients on most of the processed meat I buy but I have never checked out weenies.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:05 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,992,344 times
There is this lady at my job who swears Sodium Erythorbate is ground up Earthworms..

After a bit of research I found this to be a widely told story of old..
No matter how many times I try to convince her otherwise she's still not buying it..

She loves Hot Dogs.. Oscar Myers at that.. Go figure...

Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 PM

642 posts, read 908,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
There is this lady at my job who swears Sodium Erythorbate is ground up Earthworms..

After a bit of research I found this to be a widely told story of old..
No matter how many times I try to convince her otherwise she's still not buying it..

She loves Hot Dogs.. Oscar Myers at that.. Go figure...
Ground up earthworms would be MUCH healthier than sodium erythorbate which causes red blood cells to rupture, kidney stones, nausea, gastritis, vomiting, abdominal cramping, heartburn, diarrhoea, high blood pressure, allergies, headaches, and more. Unfortunately, the FDA still considers it GRAS

Old 05-06-2014, 10:25 PM

3,396 posts, read 5,971,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I buy all beef but that is probably beef lips, butts, tails, eyeballs and eyelids.
It really isn't, we aren't living in the 1920's, and companies can make good money selling lips, butts and eyeballs for a variety of uses other than hot dogs. They have an adverse effect on the texture and taste of food for human consumption, so aren't generally used. They're mostly ground up, spray dried, and used for industrial purposes. Nowadays companies that are selling cheap hot dogs save money by putting cheap soy byproducts, "mechanically separated meat", and grain meals into sausages. Those additives are significantly cheaper than animal by products. Crappy hot dogs are bad because they have they have filler than takes away from the taste, as well as some chemicals (mainly sanitizers and preservatives) that both hurt the taste and also haven't been fully tested for health considerations over the long term.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM

I just realized I should have probably mentioned that GRAS = "Generally Recognized As Safe"

Old 05-07-2014, 10:04 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,360,941 times
Some things I do miss every now and then having gone vegetarian -- I used to love a corned dog at the fair with mustard!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 AM

13,047 posts, read 21,154,444 times
Back in the 1980s, there was an appropriate quote in the movie The Great Outdoors, where Dan Ackroyd explains what hot dogs are made of:

The Great Outdoors (1988) - Quotes - IMDb

Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Some things I do miss every now and then having gone vegetarian -- I used to love a corned dog at the fair with mustard!
When I was a teenager, there was a corn dog stand in the parking lot of one of the shopping centers in my home town. They'd serve them up piping hot right out of the oil (drained well) and I'd smear them with mustard! They were delicious!

Like you, I don't eat them any more but I do get a hankering for one occasionally! If I could find a place that made them with non-gmo corn and fried them in a non-gmo oil, I would eat one occasionally even now.

Last edited by freepelican; 05-07-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
...If I could find a place that made them with non-gmo corn and fried them in a non-gmo oil, I would eat one occasionally even now.
I have to eat a fresh, hot, crispy, mustard-slathered corn dog every now and then - I don't care if they use GMO corn and GMO critters, heck - they could be DayGlo orange, I'll still eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or