U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:46 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,124,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Rest assured my LL Bean bags are probably cleaner then some grocery store bags. No, they are not 99 cents either.
LLBean! those are the ones I have. Not Landsend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM

477 posts, read 375,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive seen it so many times.. people in very posh big cars shopping at the cheapest shops like Lidl and Aldi. only to take out the groceries and wine in the shops own bags and swap them in the boot of the car for Marks and Spencers or some other higher brand of shop... A friend of the family even saw Robbie Coltrane do this at the Lidls carpark.. Theres no shame in having to shop at a cheaper shop but why bother to go to all this bother for the neighbours..
I find this difficult to believe on 2 levels - first, I've never ever in 40 years seen such a thing.

And secondly - Aldi does not bag groceries. There is no need to "swap bags" because a status-conscious person would merely take the "fancy" bags in with them to start with.

I call made-up nonsense...

Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 PM

5,327 posts, read 7,663,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I find this difficult to believe on 2 levels - first, I've never ever in 40 years seen such a thing.

And secondly - Aldi does not bag groceries. There is no need to "swap bags" because a status-conscious person would merely take the "fancy" bags in with them to start with.

I call made-up nonsense...

I'm with you. I've have never seen this happen and besides, you take your own bags to Aldi's.

And how would it fool anyone anyway? The Aldi's cans, boxes, bottles, etc. are clearly labeled with the Aldi's "brand" names.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:23 PM

5,681 posts, read 2,791,795 times
As was mentioned, many Aldi's will sell you bag if you need it badly enough. Maybe the OP was just using them as an example of behavior observed at places like Aldi.

And really, as long as you smuggle the cheap stuff out in a fancy bag, then get it into your house, no one will know your secret shame.... [/ominous music]

Old 05-06-2014, 12:36 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,350,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I wipe the inside of plastic reusable bags with an antibacterial or anti viral wipe.
That's very irresponsible of you to abuse antibiotics like that, which in turn is leading to the rise of superbugs which will wipe out all life on earth.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:41 PM

477 posts, read 375,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
As was mentioned, many Aldi's will sell you bag if you need it badly enough. Maybe the OP was just using them as an example of behavior observed at places like Aldi.

And really, as long as you smuggle the cheap stuff out in a fancy bag, then get it into your house, no one will know your secret shame.... [/ominous music]

Maybe - but the fact is that Aldi does not bag groceries, buying an aldi bag would be unneccessary if you have your own "fancy" bags - and on top of all that, Lidl, the other grocery retailer mentioned has NO STORES in the US. And won't until 2018 at best:

Lidl postpones plan to open U.S. stores to 2018 | Reuters

Besides which, hanging about in the parking lot while you switch bags just exposes you to discovery of your secret shame all the more, LOL!

I have never ever ever never ever never seen this happen, anywhere, any time. Its certainly not very common, if it ever happens at all.

EDIT: OK I see the OP is in Scotland. Maybe people do this in Scotland - but they don't do it on THIS side of the pond, at least not in any great number.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:12 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,350,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post

EDIT: OK I see the OP is in Scotland. Maybe people do this in Scotland - but they don't do it on THIS side of the pond, at least not in any great number.
Now we see how they earned their thrifty reputation.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:04 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,534,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
2) I use two huge Landsend canvas boat bags to put my plastic grocerybags into for easier carrying.

2) I use the plastic bags for dog poop pickup.
This is how I am.

I take my own bags with me to Walmart, but I always have to tell the checker to go ahead and bag my stuff in their bags, since I only use my bags as a sturdier and easier way to carry my stuff since I'm usually walking or on the bus. I always use two or three of my own bags to hold maybe 5-10 of Walmart's plastic bags.

Having the plastic bags also helps to keep my bags cleaner since there's less chance something like blood from meat, etc. will leak out and onto my sturdier bags. Usually the only way my bags get dirty is on the outside from putting them down, and the handles from carrying them.

I don't use the plastic bags for dog poop since I don't have a dog, but I do reuse them as trash bags. I live in an apartment complex which has a big dumpster. I fill the grocery bags with my trash and take them to the dumpster about every one or two days. Because of this I never have to buy trash bags.

There are times where I get inundated with the plastic bags or where I can't use a bag because it has developed holes or is otherwise torn. In that case I just take those bags back to Walmart and put them in the recycling bin.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:08 PM

22,688 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive seen it so many times.. people in very posh big cars shopping at the cheapest shops like Lidl and Aldi. only to take out the groceries and wine in the shops own bags and swap them in the boot of the car for Marks and Spencers or some other higher brand of shop... A friend of the family even saw Robbie Coltrane do this at the Lidls carpark.. Theres no shame in having to shop at a cheaper shop but why bother to go to all this bother for the neighbours..
ive never seen this and I do not believe that a significant number of people swap bags so that people don't see that they shopped at a discount store.

ill bring bags from other stores to aldi because they don't provide them for free. it has nothing to do with not being seen with an aldi bag.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:37 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,403,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
If someone is insecure enough to use their grocery bags to try to impress people, I have no problem with it. But they ought to be prepared to be mocked on occasion, because it really is a waste of time. You would not care what others thought of you--if you knew how seldom they did think of you.

Daniel, my Grandfather used to tell me that. You're the only other person I have heard say it. TY

ALDI suggests you bring your own bags. They also DO NOT bag your groceries. They scan 'em and put 'em right back in your cart. There is a long counter at which you can stand to put your stuff in your bags. (For anyone "worrying" about my bacteria-laden bags, I clean them regularly)

Occasionally, people will come in without bags, push the cart to their car and bag the stuff there. I only did it once and nearly froze my a$$ off.

I have to doubt the poster who says multiple people are doing the old switcheroo with the upscale bags. One, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink