U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:37 PM

15,681 posts, read 8,775,979 times

Advertisements

My bags are sturdy nylon, shaped similarly to a standard plastic grocery bag. They're several years old and holding up just fine. I launder them every week upon returning from the market. All of my reusables -- bags, jars, bottles -- are thoroughly cleaned before every shopping trip. Frankly, I'm surprised to learn that so many people don't do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:32 PM

8,288 posts, read 9,117,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My bags are sturdy nylon, shaped similarly to a standard plastic grocery bag. They're several years old and holding up just fine. I launder them every week upon returning from the market. All of my reusables -- bags, jars, bottles -- are thoroughly cleaned before every shopping trip. Frankly, I'm surprised to learn that so many people don't do the same.
Take my word for it...they don't! I do wish that they weren't so big though. I worry about over loading them even when the customer tells me to "pack 'em tight!".

Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,364,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think its a rare person who even thinks about cleaning their bags. Thanks for the info on the nylon bags -- I just assumed they wouldn't launder well so haven't purchased any.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM

22,740 posts, read 21,795,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I have reusable bags from The Nation's Gun Show and from the National Rifle Association that I am proud to show off. No shame at all.

Mine are from the state lottery, Barnes & Noble and the Bodleian Library. There's got to be some good food in those bags.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM

22,740 posts, read 21,795,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Oh if you only knew what kind of bacteria was sitting around on the packaging material of the food you are purchasing.
I don't plan on eating the packaging. I assume that the packaging is dirty. By the time you take it home, it's been handled at least several times. Someone's probably sneezed on it, too.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,356,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive seen it so many times.. people in very posh big cars shopping at the cheapest shops like Lidl and Aldi. only to take out the groceries and wine in the shops own bags and swap them in the boot of the car for Marks and Spencers or some other higher brand of shop... A friend of the family even saw Robbie Coltrane do this at the Lidls carpark.. Theres no shame in having to shop at a cheaper shop but why bother to go to all this bother for the neighbours..
Sounds like Robbie is insecure. Or he bought something heavy and didn't want the bottom of the bag to break.

Since I've never seen anyone in a posh car do that...... I'll go with the latter. I've also never met a rich person who felt shame at shopping someplace cheap. That's how they got rich.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 PM

4,969 posts, read 2,503,252 times
Maybe they are putting them in bags because aldi doesn't do bags?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM

11,091 posts, read 6,596,198 times
I sometimes re bag my groceries at my car because I've already gone to several other stores and want to consolidate my stuff into fewer bags. I use reusable bags that I keep in my car, so the fewer bags I bring up to my apartment means fewer bags I have to remember to take with me next time I leave.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,442,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Does it really matter whose bags you use or repack into? I sometimes do not take enough bags into the store. It is easier for me to use my heavy duty canvas bags with long handles. So I will repack at the car if I have any left.
I do the same thing. Bring one canvas bag into the store and then buy more than I think I'm going to. When I get to the car I put the flimsy store bags inside my own so I can carry them into the house easily. Never thought someone might wonder if I was pulling a switcheroo! But then we don't have Aldi's and the other store mentioned. Oh, and that reminds me of something that happened the other day.

I was in Whole Foods for a quick snack and since I don't usually shop there I was surprised when the cashier asked me if I wanted to keep my bag or recycle it. So weird, why would I want to recycle my own canvas bag I brought in with me? Well, yeah, I'm keeping it! I thought about this later and googled it. It turns out they give a rebate for bringing your own bag and you can either take the rebate as a discount off your bill or donate the rebate to a charity. But that's not what he said! I think he's probably asked it so many times he's just shortened the question. He probably thought I was a real cheapskate when actually I was just clueless.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,900,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post

I was in Whole Foods for a quick snack and since I don't usually shop there I was surprised when the cashier asked me if I wanted to keep my bag or recycle it. So weird, why would I want to recycle my own canvas bag I brought in with me? Well, yeah, I'm keeping it! I thought about this later and googled it. It turns out they give a rebate for bringing your own bag and you can either take the rebate as a discount off your bill or donate the rebate to a charity. But that's not what he said! I think he's probably asked it so many times he's just shortened the question. He probably thought I was a real cheapskate when actually I was just clueless.
Wow, Agenda 21 is very real. I bet your area is planned, green, sustainable, geared for climate change and tied to ICLEI.

ICLEI USA Members — ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink