U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:55 PM

114,037 posts, read 52,372,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive seen it so many times.. people in very posh big cars shopping at the cheapest shops like Lidl and Aldi. only to take out the groceries and wine in the shops own bags and swap them in the boot of the car for Marks and Spencers or some other higher brand of shop... A friend of the family even saw Robbie Coltrane do this at the Lidls carpark.. Theres no shame in having to shop at a cheaper shop but why bother to go to all this bother for the neighbours..
Maybe they're just switching to insulated bags. But, in this day and age who really knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 AM

5,057 posts, read 7,268,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
For most people those reusable bags are absolutely filthy inside. If you aren't washing them frequently you are putting your groceries in filth, which is why I don't use them. The ones you can buy don't hold up to frequent washings.
If everything that is put into the recycled bags are bagged, then why do you need to wash them? I realize some people may be sloppier than others or if something leaks. I love the Trader Joes plastic but I've never had to wash them or wipe them out. Mine aren't dirty.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 AM

553 posts, read 738,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive seen it so many times.. people in very posh big cars shopping at the cheapest shops like Lidl and Aldi. only to take out the groceries and wine in the shops own bags and swap them in the boot of the car for Marks and Spencers or some other higher brand of shop... A friend of the family even saw Robbie Coltrane do this at the Lidls carpark.. Theres no shame in having to shop at a cheaper shop but why bother to go to all this bother for the neighbours..

Sounds like you saw Hyacinth Bucket. It's Bouquet - Not Bucket, pronounced "Bouquet."

Makes you wonder if they decant cheap wine and refill empty prestigious bottles.

All things considered . . .maybe the OP can make a Youtube video and post it for proof positive. . .maybe do an interview.

On second thought . . .maybe I'll start decorating my trash can with old lobster claws clutching Perrier (French) water bottles on a Neiman Marcus silver shopping bag table cloth

Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 AM

135 posts, read 119,439 times
I don't understand why people in the U.S. bring bags to Aldi when shopping there? Isn't it normal to take a cart, fill the cart with groceries. Put them at the checkout on the belt. After the groceries are scanned by the cashier I put or throw the groceries back into the cart. Then I push the cart to my car and pack the groceries in "Klappboxen" (foldable boxes), which are already placed in the trunk of the car. At home I carry the boxes into the kitchen. Done! :-)

Bag customers at Aldi the groceries directly on the checkout in bags? Lasts that not way to long, and the cashier get angry? Or put the customers the groceries back into the cart and bag them on the long counter that is opposite to the checkout?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
I don't understand why people in the U.S. bring bags to Aldi when shopping there? Isn't it normal to take a cart, fill the cart with groceries. Put them at the checkout on the belt. After the groceries are scanned by the cashier I put or throw the groceries back into the cart. Then I push the cart to my car and pack the groceries in "Klappboxen" (foldable boxes), which are already placed in the trunk of the car. At home I carry the boxes into the kitchen. Done! :-)

Bag customers at Aldi the groceries directly on the checkout in bags? Lasts that not way to long, and the cashier get angry? Or put the customers the groceries back into the cart and bag them on the long counter that is opposite to the checkout?
I prefer to stand and bag my groceries inside the comfortably heated or air conditioned store, rather than stand and box my groceries in the parking lot in the rain, snow, or blazing heat. I have my own bags, so it's no big deal.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 AM

15,630 posts, read 8,749,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post

I do this sometimes if I'm carrying a cooler because I won't be able to home quickly.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 AM

4,896 posts, read 5,866,353 times
Quote:
For most people those reusable bags are absolutely filthy inside. If you aren't washing them frequently you are putting your groceries in filth, which is why I don't use them. The ones you can buy don't hold up to frequent washings.
I use washable clothe bags, when I think of it.

eta: I have wondered why people say the bags are dirty. Whatever is put in them is packaged. I don't put fruit or meats that are not either wrapped or placed in a disposable plastic bag. What gets dirty ? Just curious.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,614 times
Quote:

My bags are lined and can be wiped out easily, or I have a few that are made from recycled bottles and can fold really small into my handbag (great for those impromptu grocery shops or when you need a couple more bags than you thought you would) that hold up excellently to being tossed into the laundry.

I'm also not germaphobic so I'm not at all concerned about the random cooties that might be floating around. The wiping out and laundering is more because of visible marking/dirt or after I've carried meat etc. in a bag where contamination is an actual real concern.

Btw if you're interested, these are my fold real tiny bags (I paid much less) Amazon.com: ChicoBag Reusable Shopping Bags: Purple [Kitchen]: Kitchen & Dining and the other ones are California Innovations that I get from BJs in packs of 2 but can't find a link online for the exact bags! They are really sturdy and have held up well.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:31 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,362,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I use washable clothe bags, when I think of it.

eta: I have wondered why people say the bags are dirty. Whatever is put in them is packaged. I don't put fruit or meats that are not either wrapped or placed in a disposable plastic bag. What gets dirty ? Just curious.

Rather than post a bunch of links, just do a quick internet search about how dirty the cloth grocery bags are -- they carry all sorts of bacteria and viruses.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,564,401 times
Is anyone else amazed there are now 6 pages of people discussing grocery bags?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink