U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM

17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
what is wrong with you lady.... do you live in Glasgow.. and know what goes on. Being a snob has no boundaries when the neighbours watch you unpack your groceries in Newton Mearns or Bearsden... so dont kid yourself. Many have witnessed this going on outside Lidls etc. Maybe they pay for bags then swap..personally it doesnt embarrass me one bit and Id carry charity shop bags or Primark and wouldnt care who saw me..
i must confess.. I am a proud owner of a few llbean tote bags,,,,but im not a snob

years ago, going to a dinner party, I brought a gift in an LLbean Bag (tote) AND a longaberger Basket
we were definitely stylin for mainers... i proudly placed the LLbean tote on the gift table and pulled the basket out placed it in front,, I looked around, our bag was standing tall,-the basket, the other women made of "ohhhh i love itttt" can i look inside"???

well, this is where the night took a quick turn,,,

i brought over a gift, but it was for a dr. that told me if i could ever spare a deer liver and heart, he'd like to have some..(hadnt had it since he was a teen)
so, being the generous, giving person i am, i put the liver and heart in the longaberger basket..

...I wished i had a camera/video for the reactions..one lady wasnt sure what it was and picked up the heart- she freaked/screamed and threw it against a wall,,,the english spaniels ate the thing before we could grab it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 05:41 PM

31,201 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
However, logic and clear-thinking would suggest that while you may have seen this bag-swap once, I can't align my mind to it being an on-going occurrence.
Exactly. Nevermind that the Aldi store I shop at does not have bags. Anywhere. So if people are swapping bags in the parking lot, they're swapping one bag they brought in with them with a bag that they kept in their car. LMAO. What a chore!

Old 05-07-2014, 06:15 PM

15,656 posts, read 8,769,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i must confess.. I am a proud owner of a few llbean tote bags,,,,but im not a snob

years ago, going to a dinner party, I brought a gift in an LLbean Bag (tote) AND a longaberger Basket
we were definitely stylin for mainers... i proudly placed the LLbean tote on the gift table and pulled the basket out placed it in front,, I looked around, our bag was standing tall,-the basket, the other women made of "ohhhh i love itttt" can i look inside"???

well, this is where the night took a quick turn,,,

i brought over a gift, but it was for a dr. that told me if i could ever spare a deer liver and heart, he'd like to have some..(hadnt had it since he was a teen)
so, being the generous, giving person i am, i put the liver and heart in the longaberger basket..

...I wished i had a camera/video for the reactions..one lady wasnt sure what it was and picked up the heart- she freaked/screamed and threw it against a wall,,,the english spaniels ate the thing before we could grab it
Please tell me it was wrapped before you placed it in the basket.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,737,034 times
This thread has got to be the best medicine for what ails me; I really think I have been taking life too seriously. I mean, after all, this is 8 pages about shopping bags!!!! Amazing!!!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 PM

553 posts, read 739,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
This thread has got to be the best medicine for what ails me; I really think I have been taking life too seriously. I mean, after all, this is 8 pages about shopping bags!!!! Amazing!!!
Apparently the subtext of bisackual shopping is . . . well, you are reading these pages too, are you not? I came to a full stop when I realized there are those among us who wash plastic bags for reuse. They must be in a class of their own . . .snooty, anti-dirt-bag-ladies. On the other hand, to spy on deluded bag-switchers may be an indication you are a perspicacious person indulging in a harmless voyeuristic perversion.

Jes' sayin'

Old 05-08-2014, 03:17 AM

14,519 posts, read 11,505,888 times
love the comments..seems Im not the only one to witness the swappers..

Agus Tue 03-Dec-13 14:47:05
If it was anywhere near Draguinan, anno chances are it was the one I went to a couple of times when I lived there. Definitely wiffy and put me off going to Aldi. They opened near us recently and DD1 and I were very impressed not only price wise but the quality on offer. Left with a Trolly load a fraction of what we would have paid in one of the big 4s.

I do think though that there is an element of snobbery involved. One lady we spotted putting her shopping into a pile of 'waitrose' bags grin

http://www.gransnet.com/forums/food/...opping-at-Lidl

Last edited by dizzybint; 05-08-2014 at 03:40 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 04:23 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,733,037 times
Quote:
Ive seen it so many times.. people in very posh big cars shopping at the cheapest shops like Lidl and Aldi. only to take out the groceries and wine in the shops own bags and swap them in the boot of the car for Marks and Spencers or some other higher brand of shop... A friend of the family even saw Robbie Coltrane do this at the Lidls carpark.. Theres no shame in having to shop at a cheaper shop but why bother to go to all this bother for the neighbours..
If it keeps them happy, what's the problem? There's enough sadness in this world without worrying over a neighbor's desire for a little extra (imagined or real) prestige. Don't sweat it.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
If it keeps them happy, what's the problem? There's enough sadness in this world without worrying over a neighbor's desire for a little extra (imagined or real) prestige. Don't sweat it.
I find it more amusing Hazel... just dont understand any kind of snobbishness..

Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,733,037 times
Quote:
I find it more amusing Hazel... just dont understand any kind of snobbishness..
I understand and I agree that snobbishness is amusing. I just see the other side. We all have our quirks and the need for status marks a deeper need as all our quirks do - serious or not.

Keep smiling and ignore my sassiness if you can. Otherwise, use it for a good laugh. Keep life light. It's all a big joke anyway.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I understand and I agree that snobbishness is amusing. I just see the other side. We all have our quirks and the need for status marks a deeper need as all our quirks do - serious or not.

Keep smiling and ignore my sassiness if you can. Otherwise, use it for a good laugh. Keep life light. It's all a big joke anyway.
no no a love your post.. its nice to have others views..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink