U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:49 PM

861 posts, read 944,520 times

Advertisements

I think the best tasting is Splenda.

I think the healthiest is Stevia.

Am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,705,902 times
Plain stevia - unprocessed - is not considered an artificial sweetener because it is a plant. I believe that there is no healthy artificial sweetener. If you must add something make it a real food with minimal processing. Natural honey or maple syrup in moderation is much better for you than any chemical.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM

You have been walking in the desert for hours and you had to choose between sodas flavored with aspartame, splenda or truvia which would you choose?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
I've asked two different doctors I've gone to about using Splenda. The facebook "panicers" post things every now and then talking about how dangerous it is for you. Both doctors said to go ahead and use it. And I like the taste of it too.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
You have been walking in the desert for hours and you had to choose between sodas flavored with aspartame, splenda or truvia which would you choose?
After hours in the desert? Hell, by that time I'd probably drink a Double Cola! As long as it was wet and cold, I wouldn't care what it had in it.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM

I agree that Splenda is best tasting. Aspartame gives me a headache and leaves a metallic after taste.

Truvia tastes weird and not very sweet. But I heard it is the healthiest.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM

642 posts, read 908,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Plain stevia - unprocessed - is not considered an artificial sweetener because it is a plant. I believe that there is no healthy artificial sweetener. If you must add something make it a real food with minimal processing. Natural honey or maple syrup in moderation is much better for you than any chemical.
I've never seen dried stevia leaves sold in stores or just dried stevia leaves all chopped up like you'd see for spices. However, I did accidentally let a stevia plant dry out and I used the dried leaves. They were just as sweet as the green leaves which are so delicious I eat them like candy.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Don't like Stevia, hate the taste of Aspartame, not sure what Splenda is (what's the chemical name?). I think Xylitol tastes the nicest but I guess you can't put that soft drinks as too much gives you the runs, could probably put it in coffee or tea though if you like those sweetened - plus its good for your teeth.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 4,172,071 times
Xylitol is my favorite, I don't have any gastro problems with it. It bakes well too. Stevia is over processed, it's green naturally but white when processed and mixed with something else. It's bitter. I have grown stevia and made simple syrup with it that was really good, but it was very very green and colored everything I made with it green.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
Best tasting: Sucralose

Least Harmful: Saccharin

Honorable mentions: Neotame (I mix 1 TSP pure powder into a 16 ounce container of vegetable glycerin and a little goes a long way, by far the cheapest way to sweeten if you buy the "newtame" stuff, and really you use such a minute quantity that it's harmless, and also more heat stable than aspartame)

Stevia: I don't particularly like the taste but some swear by it so yeah.. it's probably not harmful.

I usually stick with pure saccharin tablets bought off amazon, liquid sucralose also bought off amazon, "newtame" mixed with vegetable glycerin, or store bought saccharin packets... I mix it up depending on what I'm using it for.

Blending them will bring out the best qualities of all of them and make something really sweet if you want it that way. Like I said I don't believe saccharin or neotame are harmful in the quantities used. Sucralose, it remains to be seen. I don't use aspartame unless nothing else is available... outdated, bitter aftertaste...

Last edited by stockwiz; 05-07-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or