U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times

Advertisements

Chili... okay...

I can cook beans on toast, I can scramble eggs, and I can make a really good hot dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 AM

351 posts, read 435,353 times
I admit it really makes me feel good when one of my best friend who lives on the Big Island always requests that I make her this Japanese vegetable stew "nishime" when I visit and stay with her.

It's also a big ego stoke when my Mexican friends tell me that the Mexican dishes I cook remind them of their grandmother's cooking. Mexican food sucks in Honolulu, except for maybe one or two restaurants, therefore I had to learn how to cook it myself to feel the same level of satisfaction that I had when I ate in "hole in the wall" Mexican restaurants in California.

I also like to bake and I get positive feedback on my pineapple upside down cake where I substitute the basic butter cake recipe liquid with some pineapple juice and either rum or brandy. My parent's always have me up to their house for Thanksgiving dinner, my job is to bring the pumpkin pie.

The Pearl Harbor Commissary carries this canned eggnog, I think it's Bordens, I'm not sure. But that canned eggnog tastes better than the ones sold in cartons in the refrigerated section. It's so rich and creamy tasting! Anyway I substituted the evaporated milk part of the recipe with that eggnog and used less sugar. My parent's raved about it, and that made me feel good.

Cooking is one of my passions, but being single I have to carefully plan what I'm going to cook for the week because I hate (and feel really guilty about) wasting food.

Last edited by Honolulu21; 05-08-2014 at 01:30 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
When necessary, I can put together a good and healthy meal with what is in the fridge. Also make great pies but
seldom do anymore due to sugar limitations.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:22 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,437,401 times
My breads are very popular.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 AM

15,545 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
When necessary, I can put together a good and healthy meal with what is in the fridge. Also make great pies but
seldom do anymore due to sugar limitations.
I envy this ability. I'm much better than I used to be but still have a long way to go.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I envy this ability. I'm much better than I used to be but still have a long way to go.
This is after 35 years and I really didn't know jack squat about cooking when I got married. Would be
more than happy to show you how to make pies (if we lived nearby).
ps-part of the secret is the variety of spices (for meals).

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 05-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 AM

3,321 posts, read 3,562,039 times
My husband compliments me on my ability to look in a nearly empty refrigerator and come up with a great meal. People also are impressed with my pie crust. Unfortunately as he now has to be gluten free, I don't make great pie crust anymore. It's not bad, but it's not like my old pie crust.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,896,365 times
I dated a girl a long time ago that seemed to really enjoy all sorts of sex in exotic positions in the kitchen. That was impressive.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 PM

441 posts, read 359,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Was hashing thru some of my older threads - Severely roughing it.
and was thinking, that one post I responded to, that person impressed me with their outdoor skills.

So, we're all cooks or wanna be cooks here. What's your skill? What can you do that you are proud of , or have had someone tell you, "That's great!" "THIS IS AWESOME!!!" or "Nice Job!"

I make chili that make people stop talking and just eat. Yeah, I do that. Steak and fresh Jalapenos for the win chili. My mom used to say, "You know it's good when you don't hear anyone talking." I can also cut a bird or ham/or debone them at a table without looking like a man with a hacksaw attacking Play-Doh.
Do you care to share your chili recipe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I can put together a good meal with whatever happens to be in the house. When I shop I buy the grains, veggies, proteins we like to eat and then put together whatever combination sounds good for that day, I've never been a follow the recipe person. Over the years I've gotten pretty good at butchering but my husband still puts me to shame in that department, it's a skill I'm working on.
This is my skill, too. I rarely buy food based on a specific meal. Instead, I buy chicken, ham, beef, fish, then a bunch of grains, veggies, potatoes, and staples.

Whip up something out of what I have on hand.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 PM

15,545 posts, read 8,734,436 times
A small amount of cinnamon and cocoa is the secret to my chili. That said, I don't think I've ever met a chili I didn't love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or