U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:29 PM

17,240 posts, read 22,286,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I love my antique Victorinox butcher knife. I have it professionally sharpened twice a year.
thats what i use too, victronix forschner

excellent knives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 08:49 PM

486 posts, read 557,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Like the earlier poster, I have no problem whatsoever with garlic; it's the way a real pro chops larger vegetables that impresses me most.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:18 PM

3,396 posts, read 5,993,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
thats what i use too, victronix forschner

excellent knives!
Hell yeah. I have a lot of "nice" knives (Global, Messermeister, Shun, Misono, Kikuichi...) that my wife gets me as presents every year. I have two sets of 7 Forschner knives that account for 99.9% of the cooking i do. One set is for home, the other is for travel. They are really all I'll ever need.

Last edited by Attrill; 05-10-2014 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 PM

7,620 posts, read 10,456,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Was hashing thru some of my older threads - Severely roughing it.
and was thinking, that one post I responded to, that person impressed me with their outdoor skills.

So, we're all cooks or wanna be cooks here. What's your skill? What can you do that you are proud of , or have had someone tell you, "That's great!" "THIS IS AWESOME!!!" or "Nice Job!"

I make chili that make people stop talking and just eat. Yeah, I do that. Steak and fresh Jalapenos for the win chili. My mom used to say, "You know it's good when you don't hear anyone talking." I can also cut a bird or ham/or debone them at a table without looking like a man with a hacksaw attacking Play-Doh.
I wish I had good "knife skills". Some of my stuff looks pretty ugly.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,597,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
How do you sharpen a ceramic knife...duh!
You need a diamond stone for sharpening ceramic knives. They're not terribly expensive -- you can get them on amazon. Keeping the angle precise while sharpening can be a problem, but if you tape a penny to the spine of the knife and sharpen keeping the penny in light contact with the stone, that will give you a good angle.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:13 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,583,563 times
My dad is a great cook. All my life I have been impressed with his cooking abilities. But he is always so bashful about his skills. I wish I could cook as good as him. I consider myself an alright cook but one of my few specialties that I really enjoy are my homemade enchiladas. Have not had any better in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or