Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,789,978 times

Advertisements

Was hashing thru some of my older threads - http://www.city-data.com/forum/campi...-roughing.html
and was thinking, that one post I responded to, that person impressed me with their outdoor skills.

So, we're all cooks or wanna be cooks here. What's your skill? What can you do that you are proud of , or have had someone tell you, "That's great!" "THIS IS AWESOME!!!" or "Nice Job!"

I make chili that make people stop talking and just eat. Yeah, I do that. Steak and fresh Jalapenos for the win chili. My mom used to say, "You know it's good when you don't hear anyone talking." I can also cut a bird or ham/or debone them at a table without looking like a man with a hacksaw attacking Play-Doh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,215,689 times
I've been complimented on my ability to bake things gluten-free that actually taste decent with nice texture. And apparently my pizza rolls are so good that they justify marriage proposals from complete strangers.

Someone that can cook a steak just right impresses me - that's something I've never been able to get right.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,283,669 times
Like the OP, I'm pretty good with chili. All stews, really. I think my family would starve if anything ever happened to my dutch oven.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 AM

487 posts, read 744,648 times
I've cooked in chili cookoffs for years - and have done quite well with a bowl of red, but I'm proudest of the fact that I took a traditional, ethnic sweet bread (a nut roll) that we've had our whole lives from the bakers in the family, and then from church sales after the bakers had all passed on, and recreated it - and I was not a baker at the time! My aunts were proficient at making this delicacy, but they never showed us the techniques. When they passed on, I found slips of paper and envelopes that had ingredient lists on them - but no instructions to speak of, because they knew what to do with those ingredients. I did not. After a few tries with marginal results, I finally hit it and my recipe looks and tastes EXACTLY like my aunts' and the church ladies' version! It was a happy day indeed when that finally happened.

I also make my own yogurt, which took a number of trials over several months, to get it just right. I felt like a chemist in the kitchen, testing and writing notes for the next batch. Now I make the most delicious, thick, silky, delightful yogurt I've ever tasted!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:44 AM

24,085 posts, read 10,405,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I've been complimented on my ability to bake things gluten-free that actually taste decent with nice texture. And apparently my pizza rolls are so good that they justify marriage proposals from complete strangers.

Someone that can cook a steak just right impresses me - that's something I've never been able to get right.
I do not need a husband but would you mind to share the recipe? Thank you!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I do not need a husband but would you mind to share the recipe? Thank you!
Its really simple, just make pizza dough, roll it out into a big rectangle, spread on pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni or ham or some other kind of filling that's not too chunky then roll it up like a swiss roll and slice into one inch thick slices. Then just lay out on a baking tray and bake at around 180C for about 20 minutes or so.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM

3,604 posts, read 9,025,768 times
I can put together a good meal with whatever happens to be in the house. When I shop I buy the grains, veggies, proteins we like to eat and then put together whatever combination sounds good for that day, I've never been a follow the recipe person. Over the years I've gotten pretty good at butchering but my husband still puts me to shame in that department, it's a skill I'm working on.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:33 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,051,534 times
kitchen skills....

i installed the hard wood teak floor in the kitchen, and our countertops, and our dishwasher

i have cut up a whole deer and lamb carcass in the kitchen (quartered)

I cut up chicken/turkeys, make my own sausage, , grind my own beef burger, ground chicken, turkey

family members bring their knives over to be sharpened, (we barter) and buy meat in bulk

i like to cook- i think part of maturity is trying new foods and being open minded....

Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,041,579 times
I am really really good at souffles!

Old 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM

41,777 posts, read 74,786,854 times
I'm envious of people who can make a good pie crust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink