U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 PM

14,328 posts, read 17,552,973 times

Advertisements

I have a smaller whole frozen turkey that I bought on sale. It's coming out of the freezer and we've invited guests for dinner. I can do it 'Thanksgiving Style' with all the usual fixings, but I wondered if anyone had any other ideas.

No deep fryer and I doubt the BBQ rotisserie would accomodate this 12-13 pound bird.

Suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 PM

17,181 posts, read 22,217,451 times
you could cut it in half, then grill

or

you can cook it traditionally,,,pull the meat from the bones,,, then mix in some sweet baby rays bbq sauce,,and have "pulled turkey sandwiches"

Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,161,162 times
My mom used to do this with leftover turkey but it may be a tad bit too simple for guests.

Take the meat off the bone shredded or chunk style. In a pan add a bit of water and sliced onions rings. As the onion soften add a generous amount of black pepper. Then add the turkey and allow to cook over low heat for a few minutes. Next add in a can (or two depending on how many you are feeding) cream of mushroom soup (you can do low fat and low sodium). Cook for low heat for 10-15 minutes and stir slightly. Add water as needed.

Serve over rice or egg noodles.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:56 PM

3,878 posts, read 4,583,375 times
Cut the legs, thighs & wings off, put a dry rub on them and smoke on the grill. With the breast meat, take it off the bone and cut into big chunks and marinate in plain yogurt, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and cardamom or allspice and make into kabobs.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:20 PM

21,028 posts, read 25,842,934 times
I do whole turkeys on the grill. Propane grill so heat is easy to control. Place the bird in one of those disposable aluminum turkey roasting pans. Cover with a couple layers of heavy foil.

Cook off-set heat for several hours until the bird is tender. Remove foil, add applewood chips to the fire and cook until the bird is golden browned and smoke flavored.

With a small 12 pound bird, I'd cook it breast side down and then turn in breast side up to brown it.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:13 PM

3,396 posts, read 5,981,726 times
I'd give the rotisserie a shot. Most skewers can handle the weight, and if it is well balanced there shouldn't be much more effort needed by the motor. I've gone up to 18 lb.s with my rotisserie without any problems (I just have to make sure it is very well balanced).

I like to chop up loads of thyme, sage, garlic, and onion and blend that into a whole stick of butter with some salt and pepper. Then spread the mix under the skin of the turkey. Using applewood is a great idea, cherry works well too.

If you don't use the rotisserie just spatchcock the turkey and cook it off the direct heat, then sear when it's about 5 degrees from your target temp.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:19 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,160,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
...I just have to make sure it is very well balanced...
Balance is certainly the key with rotisseries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
...If you don't use the rotisserie just spatchcock the turkey...
That's the only way I can successfully grill a bird - it provides even cooking and is a great way to marinate.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 AM

14,328 posts, read 17,552,973 times
We ended up just roasting the thing because I realized it took less than 1,75 hours in the convection oven. Love that thing. And it maybe was the moistest turkey I've ever made.

spatchlock chicken to be tested on the bbq next week, as a learning tool for spatchlock turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink