U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,574,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
the less time food spends between 140 and 40 degrees the safer so letting food sit idel while cooling off is commonly accepted as the way to do it but its not safe and food should be put in the fridge or frozen asap. if you are worried about heating your fridge than sink of cold water/ice will help
Maybe if you are letting it cool all night or not properly heating it up then it wouldn't be safe. But letting my leftovers sit out while we eat dinner and while we start to clean isn't going to be harmful.

There is a thread a few down from this one that suggests its okay to leave half cooked burgers sitting out for four hours. If that is considered okay, then I don't see the harm in letting food sit out for an hour at most. It will all be properly reheated.

No different then taking home leftovers after a meal out. From the time it hits your plate till the time you get it home and refrigerated is probably a lot longer then the time it takes to put away leftovers from a home cooked meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I've always let my leftovers cool before refrigerating/freezing them, but that's because I've always had old fridges that seemed to work far too hard to keep everything cool and I didn't want to test my luck.
Yeah we have an old fridge as well. It makes some pretty crazy sounding noises when we're not overworking it, so I don't want to push it too much.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 AM

1,864 posts, read 1,741,545 times
https://www.health.ny.gov/environmen...y/coolheat.htm

Quote:
Improper cooling and reheating are major causes of foodborne illness. State Sanitary Code changes, which became effective August 19, 1992, were made after informational sessions and meetings with food service establishment operators and regulators and other food industry representatives. The new requirements call for changes in cooling and reheating potentially hazardous foods.
Potentially hazardous foods requiring refrigeration must be cooled by an adequate method so that every part of the product is reduced from 120 degrees Fahrenheit to 70 degrees Fahrenheit within two hours, and from 70 degrees Fahrenheit to 45 degrees Fahrenheit or below within four additional hours. Bacteria that cause food poisoning grow at temperatures between 45 degrees Fahrenheit and 120 degrees Fahrenheit. The cooling requirement limits the length of time that potentially hazardous food is in the temperature range at which harmful bacteria can grow. Foods particularly important to meet the cooling requirement include soups, sauces, gravies, stews, rice, chili, whole turkeys, turkey breasts and whole roast beef. Food temperatures should be measured with a stem thermometer.

The suggestion to put the food in an ice-water bath is a standard procedure in restaurants. It is important to have it cooled to proper temp within 2 hours ad to not let foods sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Yes sure people do it and get away with it a lot. OTOH the CDC said in 2011 that one out of six people get some sort of food born illness each year.

And your carry out food from your meal out is a particular hazard if it has been sitting out and in your car for more than 2 hours.

I will sometimes allow food to sit out for a hour or so after cooking and the put it into the refrigerator. If it is out for more than 2 hours I throw it out. Saving a few dollars is not worth the health risk. Even a mild case of food poisoning is not worth it.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:20 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah we have an old fridge as well. It makes some pretty crazy sounding noises when we're not overworking it, so I don't want to push it too much.
same here -- our ice maker sounds like ice falling on the roof....

Old 05-10-2014, 11:00 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
https://www.health.ny.gov/environmen...y/coolheat.htm

The suggestion to put the food in an ice-water bath is a standard procedure in restaurants. It is important to have it cooled to proper temp within 2 hours ad to not let foods sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Yes sure people do it and get away with it a lot. OTOH the CDC said in 2011 that one out of six people get some sort of food born illness each year.

Very seldom in a HOME application do you need to worry about getting the out of the danger zone. You put it into the freezer or refrigerator and that will take care of it.

It is only where you use large pot 4" or deeper where you need to worry about using an ice bath.

Yes, I was a NY sanitarian myself years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink