U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times

Advertisements

We just went today, an hour's drive. I bought some Kale dip, frozen US cod and Dover Sole (no good frozen fish where we
live), frozen Dorot minced basil and garlic, garlic low fat chicken sausage, dark chocolate covered cranberries, pork
tenderloin (small enough for the two of us) and some flowers (they always have some lovely ones at a good price).
We go about once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,438,058 times
Trader Joe's just moved into our neighborhood a few months ago. I prefer our local grocery store but I did stop in there to get some treats for out-of-town company. I found that the Trader Joe brand of cheesecake (in the freezer section) is far superior to what I buy elsewhere. Very creamy and delicious - tasted like home made. I also picked up their Mini Orange Cranberry Tea Scones with Almonds in the bakery department. Paired with some Bellweather Farms crime fraiche they were wonderful. Tasted like I was at high tea at the Denver Brown Palace Hotel!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 PM

7,625 posts, read 13,985,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Trader Joe's just moved into our neighborhood a few months ago. I prefer our local grocery store but I did stop in there to get some treats for out-of-town company. I found that the Trader Joe brand of cheesecake (in the freezer section) is far superior to what I buy elsewhere. Very creamy and delicious - tasted like home made. I also picked up their Mini Orange Cranberry Tea Scones with Almonds in the bakery department. Paired with some Bellweather Farms crime fraiche they were wonderful. Tasted like I was at high tea at the Denver Brown Palace Hotel!
Gotta try their other stuff and then you will understand the quality and why people are willing to drive to it!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:29 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Wow, just had a great find that I forgot about in the back of my freezer today. Trader Joe's Roasted potatoes with roasted peppers and onions. Really great flavor and spice!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:41 PM

803 posts, read 1,300,352 times
Their new salted caramel gelato is a must. Pretty sure it's made by Talenti, but it's so freaking good.

Their peanut butter and seeds/legumes/nuts are cheap, too.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:46 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times
I shop at WholeFoods for some items, but I can't stand Trader Joe's. The deals they supposedly have just suck and their in store items aren't very good.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,713,248 times
I love their nuts and their cranberry/pumpkin seed crackers! Awesomeness! I also like their yogurt and their frozen bagged entrees. Delish.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,808,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I shop at WholeFoods for some items, but I can't stand Trader Joe's. The deals they supposedly have just suck and their in store items aren't very good.
BZZZZZZZZZZT. I'm sorry, but that's the wrong answer. We were looking for "better deals than WF" and "a wide range of tasty, exotic foods".

Old 11-02-2014, 04:50 AM

69,272 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
BZZZZZZZZZZT. I'm sorry, but that's the wrong answer. We were looking for "better deals than WF" and "a wide range of tasty, exotic foods".
I am a bit surprised someone would compare the two. Of course I am a huge Trader Joe's fan, so am surprised to hear someone say; Trader Joes sucks, like M7 said. WF and TJoes are really not quite the same in my estimation. WF is much more expensive for starters. TJ has a lot of items that are specialty, unusual, organic, etc and at a price most middle class shoppers can easily afford. WFs are more for those who do not shop on a budget all the time. AT least that is my opinion.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:55 AM

54,144 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am a bit surprised someone would compare the two. Of course I am a huge Trader Joe's fan, so am surprised to hear someone say; Trader Joes sucks, like M7 said. WF and TJoes are really not quite the same in my estimation. WF is much more expensive for starters. TJ has a lot of items that are specialty, unusual, organic, etc and at a price most middle class shoppers can easily afford. WFs are more for those who do not shop on a budget all the time. AT least that is my opinion.

I agree, and would add at least in my area TJ's is less expensive than the local chains for a number of staples like milk, butter, a number of produce items, bread, coffee filters, cereal, etc.. Some things may be their own brand like Joe's Os which I doubt anyone could tell from Cheerios in a blind tasting and at $1.99 for a large box are definitely a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink