Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:27 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times

Advertisements

I buy all my groceries at Trader Joe's besides fresh produce. In my area, they have the best prices on most items and also have many products that are not available at other stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 03:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
You cannot get "most everything they (Trader Joe's) sell" at Super Target or local grocery stores. For one thing, to those of us for whom it matters, high fructose corn syrup, the sweetener that will be in all the treats and juices sold at Target, Safeway, Fred Meyer and Thriftway, is not a good thing. When you consider that all the products sold at TJ's are made naturally or close to it, the fact that the price between TJ's and LOCAL stores is not all that different becomes rather amazing.

People will hate on anyone and anything that is trying to do the right thing for people. H8ters gonna h8. I think the fact that in 10 posts only 2 are h8ters says a lot. If it were me I'd be checking my math again and trying to see where maybe I messed up.

H

Missing those 'dolphin safe' tuna in Thai curry meals that TJ's used to sell. Anyone else ever try them??

Old 05-10-2014, 04:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Good list. I also love their Reduced Sugar Strawberry Jam, and the seasonal Dark Chocolate Minty Mallows.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Blondie's desert
"Cookie Butter" spread
Beef Bourguignon

Old 05-10-2014, 05:13 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've shopped in a couple of TJ's and was not impressed. There's very little there that I can't get in local stores. I resent big chains like TJ's that try to pretend they're folksy neighborhood markets. THat's why they keep their aisles so damn narrow. BUY LOCAL! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS!
When the local farmers provide great olive oil and black truffle mousse like TJ's at SIMILAR prices, I'll be happy to support them. Until them, I'm still supporting myself and like the discounts. (Of course, I still buy stuff at Costco and Walmart, so what do I know?)

And I don't give a rat's pattotie if anything I buy is organic or green.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:38 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Why go to Trader Joe's?
Every register is always open.
Great prices on Almond milk
Tri-tip. It really is awesome.
Two Buck, well three buck chuck cabernet
Kale
Baby spinach
Frozen brown rice
Polenta
Blueberries
All types of great, raw nut mixes.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:40 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Why shop at TJs? Because you can return anything for any reason and get a refund no-questions asked. Buy a bunch of bananas and "think" one of them sucks. Well, return the peel and get 19¢ back. Buy a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, use the entire bottle, then decide that it really was a terrible product after all...return the bottle and you will get your money back. Tell your cashier that the last bag of oranges you purchased where not up to par and next thing you know s/he is deducting $3.49 from your total based solely on your word.

Plus, they are generally the cheapest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree. Plus I can't tell you how many times I have bought spoiled food and produce at the one in my city. It's funny, people tout this store like its' so healthy and organic, but the vast majority of foods there are very processed, including a lot of junk food like various types of fried tater chunks and fries, and the like, not to mention aisles and aisles of sweets. Only a small fraction is organic.

And all that said, many if not most everything they sell can be purchased at Super Target or local grocery stores for the same price or LESS. That store is really NOT "all that". I do shop there occasionally, but it is definitely not a "go to" store for me.
I can't call you a liar but I have lived all across the U.S. over the years and have never bought, nor seen, a spoiled food item at one of their stores.

I started shopping at TJs decades ago Back then, a lot of what they sold was considered "imported", "exotic", or specialty. They were the only place where you could get Irish butter or chutney outside of a British import store. For half the price at least, too. Or where you could buy whole pineapples for dirt cheap. Or cold-pressed olive oil. Or non-dairy "ice cream". They also sold a lot of the same items found at co-ops, such as tofu and soy/almond/rice mild but at a reduced price and with the need to join the co-op. Granted, many of the stuff TJs sells has become "mainstream" and can be found in most stores, but TJs was really the first non co-op and non import store to bring this stuff to the average joe.

You can purchase the same type of items at other stores but not always the same item. And in general, TJs is cheaper.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:54 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
I like their Spanish olive oil and Kobe beef burgers.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default ...and other foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllex View Post
That list is awesome! The Triple Ginger Snaps and Orange Chicken are on my shopping list almost every time. I'm not too impressed with their produce and meat sections, but the dried goods are generally top notch. A few other personal faves:

- Dark chocolate Almond Cookies
- All of the frozen Indian foods
- Sweet & Nutty Mix
- Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds with Sea Salt
- Ginger Cat Cookies (if Triple Ginger Snaps are't available)
- Tortilla Chips with Flax Seeds

We're very lucky that they opened one across the street from us.
Why not go?

My personal faves:
inexpensively priced herbed Feta cheese
goat cheese
roasted garlic hummus
Pita chips with sea salt
Honey-flavored greek yogurt
dried Mangoes slices
a variety of apples (as opposed to Red Delicious apples in most grocery stores, yuck!)

I luv Trader Joe's!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:15 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I love Trader Joe's because I know that if I have a busy week at work, I can grab a few frozen meals that cost under $4 each (and some under $3) and it will almost feel like eating out. I can't replicate their frozen palak paneer or Thai curry with red rice (if you haven't tried it, YOU NEED TO) at home for anywhere close to that price point.

Busy week? Pop a frozen wild mushroom and truffle flatbread in the oven (dressed up with some kale and tomatoes, usually, but not necessary) for 8 minutes, and you have a delicious meal.

I didn't have the time or energy to fight the Trader Joe's parking lot last week and ended up buying some frozen food from the grocery store. I forgot how truly awful it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink