U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 PM

904 posts, read 814,159 times

Advertisements

Last time I was there, I tried (from the frozen section) some chocolate croissants.

OMG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 09:55 PM

330 posts, read 617,081 times
Two Buck Chuck!

Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,473,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good list. I also love their Reduced Sugar Strawberry Jam, and the seasonal Dark Chocolate Minty Mallows.

Speaking of jam, Trader Joe's Organic Raspberry, Strawberry, and Super Fruit spreads are some of the best jams one can buy. They have no sugar at all, and taste like pure fruit. Some stores have Polaners and Smuckers jams with no sugar, but they are still hard to find.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:16 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
They opened the first Trader Joe's around here a few years ago. I went to the Plano (north Texas) location the day it opened and it was mobbed, mostly with thrilled transplants.

Honestly I don't see what the fuss is about; it's OK, not fantastic. I didn't see anything there that makes me want to go out of my way to go there.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:03 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,342,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I love Trader Joe's because I know that if I have a busy week at work, I can grab a few frozen meals that cost under $4 each (and some under $3) and it will almost feel like eating out. I can't replicate their frozen palak paneer or Thai curry with red rice (if you haven't tried it, YOU NEED TO) at home for anywhere close to that price point.

Busy week? Pop a frozen wild mushroom and truffle flatbread in the oven (dressed up with some kale and tomatoes, usually, but not necessary) for 8 minutes, and you have a delicious meal.

I didn't have the time or energy to fight the Trader Joe's parking lot last week and ended up buying some frozen food from the grocery store. I forgot how truly awful it was.
Agree. Their shepherd's pie is also good. Can't beat the prices.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:55 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,880,573 times
I moved from the Seattle area to Boise six years ago, and Idaho did not have a TJ's until this year. I would always visit TJ's when I visited my parents twice a year.

I love their teeny chocolate peanut butter cups. They have real creamy peanut butter like you would put on a sandwich, not that hard flaky stuff in most chocolate candies. I think the hard stuff is nasty.

I also love the spicy cider. They used to have it all year round, but now I think they might have it just for the holidays.

I like their dips, especially the tatzkiki and roasted pecan and blue cheese.

I miss the huge glass jugs of unfiltered apple juice and Mexican spiced cocoa they used to have.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:17 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,300,398 times
I feel like TJ's either people love or don't. I am not a fan. I used to go on occasion when I lived in CA because some items were a lot cheaper then at the grocery.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,067,695 times
I love Trader Joes! I went to my first one about a year ago when they finally came to Florida! It was a little over an hour drive. Would make it worth the while though... go out to lunch or dinner, etc. Now, they have one about 35 mins away from me. Much better. I love how their stuff is good quality, but not that expensive.

I'm looking to move back to CT... and because of this post, I had to look up if there is a Trader Joes, and there is one about 25 mins away from where I'll be, so I'm excited.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:58 AM

11,411 posts, read 13,961,436 times
We go, because:

1/ Usually, the service is top notch (friendly)
2/ Good selection of items that we need (pasta, nuts, produce, prepared foods (Indian entrees, dumplings, pizza, etc)
3/ It's close to us

Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 AM

2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Reading all these responses just validates my decision not to make the trek into Houston for Trader Joe's. It seems like most of what people rave about are prepared foods & sweets, which I rarely use. I'll check it out when I'm in the area, or when they open one in Clear Lake or Galveston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink