U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,227,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Things I don't buy at TJs:
-Baked goods (I've tried so many and never found any I really liked and that didn't get moldy almost immediately)
I don't like their breads very much, but they are really great for toast. No kiddin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:34 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,007,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This has happened to me more than once. Preservatives or no, it should be lasting to the sell-by date, at the very least.
That's true.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:42 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
They do refund your money, no questions asked...but that also involves an additional trip to and from the store. In my old neighborhood, that meant a good 15 mile trip...probably pretty comparable in my current one, too.

And, really, while a generous return policy on spoiled food is, I guess, nice, wouldn't it be better for it to be a nonissue?

Sorry, the bread thing really irks me. I'm not trying to make it last three weeks in my pantry. Just, you know, be edible the morning after purchase.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 PM

11,644 posts, read 17,061,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've shopped in a couple of TJ's and was not impressed. There's very little there that I can't get in local stores. I resent big chains like TJ's that try to pretend they're folksy neighborhood markets. THat's why they keep their aisles so damn narrow. BUY LOCAL! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS!
Totally agree. It's a chain store just like any other chain store. Nothing special. Just the way you described. I always buy local when I can.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 PM

11,644 posts, read 17,061,981 times
Where I live TJ is just one of many many maaany grocery stores and they carry nothing unique that I can't find at other places. Why buy imported specialty items at TJ when I can go into a native grocery store and buy the same thing for a fraction of the price.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 PM

What I don't like about TJ's is their veges. You can buy better produce just about anywhere.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 PM

642 posts, read 910,043 times
I prefer to shop at food co-ops/natural food stores mostly but I do buy some items from other stores to save money. IMO, Trader Joe's has the best quality and best priced organic unrefined coconut oil. When I go, I generally buy several jars because it keeps well. They also almost always have great deals on fresh lemons, including organic ones. When I do go (infrequently), I usually buy a few other items too. However, the only deal I get really excited about is the coconut oil and I could live without that.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 PM

248 posts, read 216,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's my one gripe with the TJ English muffins. I bought some last Thursday (5/8) and yesterday morning (5/12), they were getting mold spots even though the sell by date was 5/13.
That is disappointing but to be honest I find myself more concerned about bread products that never spoil. For instance, there is something not right about bread that sits on the counter for a month with no mold. Preservatives! I freeze my English muffins and thaw as needed.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
That is disappointing but to be honest I find myself more concerned about bread products that never spoil. For instance, there is something not right about bread that sits on the counter for a month with no mold. Preservatives! I freeze my English muffins and thaw as needed.
In some parts of Europe, bread is considered fresh only the day it's baked.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:36 AM

700 posts, read 624,223 times
Definitely a TJ's fan here! At least when it comes to packaged food - It's where I buy the majority of mine from. Good deals on cheese too.

That being said, I do prefer local butcheries/farmers markets for fresh meats/seafood, and produce. Not really TJ's strong point, but it's hit or miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink