U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 04:45 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
In some parts of Europe, bread is considered fresh only the day it's baked.
There was a time in the US where you could go to a neighborhood bakery and buy fresh baked bread
for a decent price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 AM
gg

16,931 posts, read 17,174,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
BUY LOCAL! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS!
Maybe you can buy local in CA or some other states, but most people can't eat a local banana or for that matter, most can buy much local produce unless the season is in. Also, a lot of these so-called farmer's markets are selling stuff shipped in from other parts of the country and sometimes even out of the country. It is all about price and fresh foods when it comes to shopping and TJ's has great prices and good produce if you know what you are looking for. Also, if you like grassed beef, it is hard to beat $5.99 a pound. I don't eat the junk food at any grocery store, so that isn't why I go to TJ's.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 AM

861 posts, read 944,229 times
I don't go to Trader Joe's. One of the most overrated places ever.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,461,804 times
Stopped in today to get a couple of things as it's easier than going to our larger supermarkets. They had a new salsa I'd never seen before there - Serrano Fresco. Not spicy, but taste, texture, heat similar to the table salsa I remember from Mexico city. Pretty good.

On the bad side, one of the things I wanted to get was chicken thighs for the grill. But all they had were boneless/skinless. They did have drumsticks, so I got those. But for a "foodie" store, not having bone-in thighs with skin seems a pretty big omission.

I don't normally buy meat at TJs, so am wondering if this is a local thing or if its common everywhere.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I don't go to Trader Joe's. One of the most overrated places ever.
You took the words right outta my mouth
Whole Paycheck is even worse
No reason to shop at either place.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
You took the words right outta my mouth
Whole Paycheck is even worse
No reason to shop at either place.
Yes, no reason other than the good selection of food they have.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, no reason other than the good selection of food they have.
Keep telling yourself that, as you get deceived into spending more than you should on groceries.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
If youi want good meat at twice the price, go to TJ.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:11 PM

85,967 posts, read 3,525,755 times
Quote:
Keep telling yourself that, as you get deceived into spending more than you should on groceries.
I actually spend less on groceries at TJ's. Prices on most items are less than other grocery stores in the area.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
They have items there no other store has. That is a fact. So if a person wants those items, then they have to purchase those items from those stores.

Maybe you eat for more of a utility purpose, but not myself or many others. I enjoy unique and great tasting foods. WF and TJ are not expensive at all for many items, and comparable prices with normal grocery stores on other items (depends where you live, I live in Miami). But I make enough money where I really do not care spending a little more on food anyway. (TJ has very low prices anyway)

Not that I am criticizing your tastes, but your and the other poster had an air of criticism over other people's taste in food because they shop at TJ and WF.

A few noticeable differences between WF and a normal grocery store (I only have shopped at Publix and Harris Teeter)

- The fish at WF is better.
- the selection of nuts is better at WF.
- the bread is better and larger selection at WF.
- the selection of cheese is better at WF.
- the cola products (when in the mood, rarely drink cola) is better at WF.
- WF gets great seasonal items at a low price from surrounding farms, everything from berries, to corn, to bacon.
- WF often has sales on beef.
- WF has the same price for many products like BBQ sauce, chips, salsa, etc.

Now for TJ and a normal grocery store

- TJ has a great selection of off the wall snacks, like fig butter, or some strange cookie.
- the junk food like cookies and stuff is great at TJ.
- quality salami at a low price.
- quality bacon at a low price.
- good selection of canned items like cherries, peppers, etc.
- good selection of olive oil which I trust its lack of adulteration more than a general grocer.

But for grocery stores, I do shop and get my products there as well because I find value in the products there. You seem to think or I perceive you think it is an "all or nothing" where you either shop for everything at one store, or not go at all. Not true at all, many people will go to all three stores, purchasing their select favorites and seeing if anything is on sale as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink