U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times

Advertisements

Here are 17 reasons, some of their top-selling foods: A Stunning Look at the 17 Top Selling Items at Trader Joe's*|*Foodbeast

I sure wish I still lived near one ...... the closest is 50 miles away down a gas-sucking long hill.

I miss Pound Plus Chocolate - a good huge hunk of Belgian chocolate you can settle down with and form a long term relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 12:01 AM

208 posts, read 489,436 times
That list is awesome! The Triple Ginger Snaps and Orange Chicken are on my shopping list almost every time. I'm not too impressed with their produce and meat sections, but the dried goods are generally top notch. A few other personal faves:

- Dark chocolate Almond Cookies
- All of the frozen Indian foods
- Sweet & Nutty Mix
- Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds with Sea Salt
- Ginger Cat Cookies (if Triple Ginger Snaps are't available)
- Tortilla Chips with Flax Seeds

We're very lucky that they opened one across the street from us.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:56 AM

14,301 posts, read 17,505,128 times
Dark covered pretzels
Truffle chicken mousse
Gorgonzola crackers
Chicken or pork potstickers
The 100 calorie dark chocolate bars, four to a box
Their $3.99 fresh flowers, especially the astromedia bunches (last for 1.5+ weeks)
Frozen baby corn
Frozen french green beans

I deeply deeply miss the frozen duck breast they carried years ago. Stopped because they thought it was " inhumanely raised." Regardless, they were comparatively inexpensive and absolutely delicious,

Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 PM

7,586 posts, read 10,391,890 times
I've shopped in a couple of TJ's and was not impressed. There's very little there that I can't get in local stores. I resent big chains like TJ's that try to pretend they're folksy neighborhood markets. THat's why they keep their aisles so damn narrow. BUY LOCAL! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,565,254 times
Interesting that most of the items are sweets. Do love the Kale Dip but I also like their Alaskan Cod, dried fruits, low fat
coconut milk, the marinated pork loin, chocolate biscotti, Dorot frozen garlic and basil (for those days to save time- wish
they still had the cilantro) some fruits and vegetables.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Here's why:

What do you love from Trader Joes's

Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've shopped in a couple of TJ's and was not impressed. There's very little there that I can't get in local stores. I resent big chains like TJ's that try to pretend they're folksy neighborhood markets. THat's why they keep their aisles so damn narrow. BUY LOCAL! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS!
Sure, you can get some local veggies at the farmer's markets, but TJ's has cool imported foods you can't get there, nor in the Eureka big box stores (which if I remember correctly, were all chains).

Old 05-10-2014, 01:56 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Dorot frozen garlic and basil (for those days to save time- wish
they still had the cilantro).
Check your local grocery store for those--even the stores I shopped at in the RGV (Rio Grande Valley--Tex-Mex border) carried them!

The closest TJ to me is in town about 30-40 miles away.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:54 PM

14,651 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I agree. Plus I can't tell you how many times I have bought spoiled food and produce at the one in my city. It's funny, people tout this store like its' so healthy and organic, but the vast majority of foods there are very processed, including a lot of junk food like various types of fried tater chunks and fries, and the like, not to mention aisles and aisles of sweets. Only a small fraction is organic.

And all that said, many if not most everything they sell can be purchased at Super Target or local grocery stores for the same price or LESS. That store is really NOT "all that". I do shop there occasionally, but it is definitely not a "go to" store for me.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,565,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Check your local grocery store for those--even the stores I shopped at in the RGV (Rio Grande Valley--Tex-Mex border) carried them!

The closest TJ to me is in town about 30-40 miles away.
Appreciate the suggestion but none of the stores where I live carry Dorot's and I went to several
TJ and for about a year and no cilantro. (we also have to drive about an hour to go to TJ's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink