U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:16 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
...Next time you fry up a batch measure how much oil you put into the pan and then measure what is left...
Not much goes into the fried chicken - I've seen proof in a TV commercial .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:07 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Not much goes into the fried chicken - I've seen proof in a TV commercial .
That was a Crisco Oil advertisement from the early 80s. That is ONLY true if the oil is at the proper temperature.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That was a Crisco Oil advertisement from the early 80s. That is ONLY true if the oil is at the proper temperature.
And proper level of hydrogenation.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:48 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
C'mon, a little humor here - "I saw it on TV - it has to be true" is analogous to "I read it on the internet - it has to be true."

Old 05-15-2014, 09:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
C'mon, a little humor here - "I saw it on TV - it has to be true" is analogous to "I read it on the internet - it has to be true."
That's why I have it written in my little black book. With my poems in it.

I've got elastic bands keeping my shoes on.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:42 AM

5,802 posts, read 15,481,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I'd be ashamed if I ate fried chicken! Next time you fry up a batch measure how much oil you put into the pan and then measure what is left. Yep ... all that grease was absorbed by your chicken!
Best fried chicken is fried in lard. If your chicken absorbed all that grease, you're not frying at a high enough temperature.
I never could get the trick of good fried chicken from mama. Mine is always burnt outside and raw inside. But I have cooked some fabulous green beans with fatback, and sausage gravy...my biscuits will never be as good as mama's, though.
Buttermilk is the key. And real butter.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have visited almost all states and lived in 14.

But the worst "Southern Fried Chicken" I come across is in the South. Have southerners all stopped trying?

Go into any restaurant in NC/SC and you will get chicken either drowning in grease, or heavily over-breaded. Go into a Supermarket and it is even worse.

I think the best southern fried chicken I have eaten is actually from a supermarket named "Dick's Family Food" in Wrightstown, WI. It is golden colored, has a light crispy skin, and is extremely moist inside.

What has happened to the south? Or maybe I just haven't found the right place?

If you know of a place to get phenomenal Southern Fried Chicken in the Columbia, SC or Charlotte, NC area, please let me in on the secret.
I can't speak for north/south Carolina, but I can assure you there are a lot of great fried chicken places throughout the south. Of course everyone has his/her own idea about what is good, traditional friend chicken. Maybe your idea is a little different..

Old 05-16-2014, 08:02 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
my grandmother made traditional southern fried chicken. It was always greasy, heavily floured, but tasty. It's the freshness of the chicken and the seasoning that makes it good.

Grandma just went into the back yard grabbed up a chicken and wrung it's neck. It was cooked before it even got room temperature. The commercial chicken is treated a bit different. It isn't even allowed to be grown naturally. It may have been frozen. In some areas, the restaurants can get the chickens quicker than others.
and that is exactly how good, old, traditional southern fried chicken is. My grandma, born in KY and a wonderful basic, old fashioned cook, made it like you are saying: healthy? Nope, but tasty you bet!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink