Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:10 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

I have visited almost all states and lived in 14.

But the worst "Southern Fried Chicken" I come across is in the South. Have southerners all stopped trying?

Go into any restaurant in NC/SC and you will get chicken either drowning in grease, or heavily over-breaded. Go into a Supermarket and it is even worse.

I think the best southern fried chicken I have eaten is actually from a supermarket named "Dick's Family Food" in Wrightstown, WI. It is golden colored, has a light crispy skin, and is extremely moist inside.

What has happened to the south? Or maybe I just haven't found the right place?

If you know of a place to get phenomenal Southern Fried Chicken in the Columbia, SC or Charlotte, NC area, please let me in on the secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 01:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I'm in Alabama - we're in "The South." We have lots of great fried chicken in these parts. Tennessee is also in "The South." Have you ever tried Gus's Fried Chicken?

BTW - have you purchased fried chicken at EVERY restaurant in NC/SC - because you state that ANY restaurant there will serve greasy fried chicken.

I would be ashamed to negatively generalize the culinary capabilities of an entire region of the United States because I purchased greasy fried chicken at a few restaurants and supermarkets.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 05-10-2014 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm in Alabama - we're in "The South." We have lots of great fried chicken in these parts. Tennessee is also in "The South." Have you ever tried Gus's Fried Chicken?

BTW - have you purchased fried chicken at EVERY restaurant in NC/SC - because you state that ANY restaurant there will serve greasy fried chicken.

I would be ashamed to negatively generalize the culinary capabilities an entire region of the United States because I purchased greasy fried chicken at a few restaurants and supermarkets.
Hyperbole?

Old 05-10-2014, 01:19 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
We don't waste the best stuff on Yankees.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
What about Mets?

Old 05-10-2014, 02:08 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
my grandmother made traditional southern fried chicken. It was always greasy, heavily floured, but tasty. It's the freshness of the chicken and the seasoning that makes it good.

Grandma just went into the back yard grabbed up a chicken and wrung it's neck. It was cooked before it even got room temperature. The commercial chicken is treated a bit different. It isn't even allowed to be grown naturally. It may have been frozen. In some areas, the restaurants can get the chickens quicker than others.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:25 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have visited almost all states and lived in 14.

But the worst "Southern Fried Chicken" I come across is in the South. Have southerners all stopped trying?

Go into any restaurant in NC/SC and you will get chicken either drowning in grease, or heavily over-breaded. Go into a Supermarket and it is even worse.

I think the best southern fried chicken I have eaten is actually from a supermarket named "Dick's Family Food" in Wrightstown, WI. It is golden colored, has a light crispy skin, and is extremely moist inside.

What has happened to the south? Or maybe I just haven't found the right place?

If you know of a place to get phenomenal Southern Fried Chicken in the Columbia, SC or Charlotte, NC area, please let me in on the secret.
I thought Harris Teeters was pretty good

but i'm no aficionado

Old 05-10-2014, 02:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post

that was funny !

Old 05-10-2014, 02:52 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Koreans do fried chicken better than anyone in the south or north. The best friend chicken is in Los Angeles.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:08 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
I'm pretty sure the worst fried chicken is in the South - just as sure as I am that best is in the South as well. It's simply a more common food in the South, and there are places that have no clue about what they're doing who think it's a good way to make a quick buck. The same can be said about BBQ in Texas, bagels in NYC, etc. If you put a little research into it I'm sure you can find great fried chicken where ever you happen to be in the South, but if you just go to a random place you're more likely to have a bad experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink