U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

I made a cake with cream cheese and butter frosting and while I have it under a glass dome, I can't refrigerate it. How long will it be safe at room temp?

Usually I make this cake and share half with a neighbor and we can eat our half in two days. But they are gone and I don't want to waste the cake but I don't want to poison my family either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:10 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times
I'm not sure about the cream cheese, but the box says to refrigerate it. People leave butter out at room temps all the time (well, fake butter anyways). Inspect it thoroughly before inhaling it.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,389 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Will it fit into an ice chest? Do you have a freezer? Cake freezes well. We sometimes will freeze it in quarters, in plastic wrap then foil. Cream cheese is not like cheddar or other harder cheeses and will not last as long unrefrigerated, in fact bacteria will start to grow in about 4 hours at 41F or above. At room temperature it will go even faster. While people have probably done what you are asking and not gotten sick, it's not a good idea.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,230,450 times
Is the problem that it will not fit in your refrigerator? If so, can you cut it into smaller pieces so that it will fit? In any event, it should be fine for a couple of days. The sugar in the frosting will act as a preservative. The frosting will be soft, but it won't kill you.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Is the problem that it will not fit in your refrigerator? If so, can you cut it into smaller pieces so that it will fit? In any event, it should be fine for a couple of days. The sugar in the frosting will act as a preservative. The frosting will be soft, but it won't kill you.

Sugar acts as a preservative, but it has to be enough sugar to control moisture action. Most cream cheese frostings are not shelf stable, and only with a recipe that has been lab-tested and shown to be shelf-stable and only if you follow the recipe exactly, will you have a cream cheese frosting that doesn't require refrigeration.

I have a shelf-stable cream cheese frosting recipe that I use and it calls for something like 1/3 cup cream cheese, 1 cup Crisco and 2 lbs powdered sugar...it's been a while since I used it, can't remember exactly. But most homemade cream cheese frosting recipes have a higher proportion of cream cheese to sugar and should be kept in the fridge.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:35 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
if you have a food saver vacuum sealer,,, it works on pieces of cake,, you will even get a chuckle from it..
it kinda squishes it,,,but being flattened it will easily fit in the fridge or freezer

if you dont have a vac sealer, flatten them down into ziploc bags -

i have an industrial food vacuum sealer at work, and to see what it does to a loaf of bread is quite comical, and i've tried cakes slices too-not the prettiest thing to look at but flattens it out

Old 05-11-2014, 07:36 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
it's 8 oz of cream cheese 4 oz butter and 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.
I think I better cut it up and refrigerate it tonight. Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink