U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM

54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times

Advertisements

I used to work with a guy whose wife was Thai, she grew those peppers in Brooklyn and I'd get some every year. Two of them in a large dutch oven of stewed chicken and it was hot! Delicious but hot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 03:36 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
I ate some nuclear hot wings from a wing joint once, but they didn't contain bhut jolokia (ghost peppers) or pure capsaicin. I refuse to try anything that contains ghost peppers or pure capsaicin - it's just not worth it.

BTW - when I ordered the "nuclear" hot wings the employees kept watching me eat them because no one had ever ordered them before. They were hot, and they made my lips swell, but they weren't anything like what's available these days.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:46 PM

13,992 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I used to work with a guy whose wife was Thai, she grew those peppers in Brooklyn and I'd get some every year. Two of them in a large dutch oven of stewed chicken and it was hot! Delicious but hot!
That sounds really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I ate some nuclear hot wings from a wing joint once, but they didn't contain bhut jolokia (ghost peppers) or pure capsaicin. I refuse to try anything that contains ghost peppers or pure capsaicin - it's just not worth it.

BTW - when I ordered the "nuclear" hot wings the employees kept watching me eat them because no one had ever ordered them before. They were hot, and they made my lips swell, but they weren't anything like what's available these days.
I want to ask this out of true curiosity, LOL. Why do you eat things so hot that they make your "lips swell," or worse? Do you really crave things this hot, or is it more like a dare, a challenge just for fun? (I know when there's a group of people, it can be fun to mess around and eat something really hot just for entertainment's sake.) But sometimes I see people eating something so hot that they're pouring sweat, eyes bulging, face turning purple, LOL. Is it really enjoyable? Again, nothing against it. I'm just curious.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,095,596 times
We were in a retaurant in Ciudad Chihuahua and the waiter made the salsa fresh at your table. He brought over a cart with a large molcajete and all the fresh ingredients around it. He started with the tomatoes, then garlic, onion, etc. and then he looked over and said something in Spanish which I translated to meaning how much heat we wanted. I said "muy picante!". Bad move. Next thing I know, he's grinding up habaneros in there. "Very spicy" in Mexico and "very spicy" in Texas are two different things! Since I'm the one who ordered it that way, I had to eat it. Fortunately my dinner companions liked spicy were good sports about it!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM

54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That sounds really good.
Oh, they ARE delicious but I'd use them with caution, at least until you get a feel for their heat level.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM

13,992 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Oh, they ARE delicious but I'd use them with caution, at least until you get a feel for their heat level.
I wasn't planning on trying them anytime soon.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM

339 posts, read 291,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No offence, but those Wall wings at Winds Etc, are habernero wings.

I have had the misfortune of taste testing the bhut jalokia pepper on several occasions, most recently at an international mustard competition that I was judging a few weeks ago. What was unfortunate was that I was NOT warned about the ghost pepper's presence. I ingested about 1/2 tsp of the mustard before it hit ...

Literally, I lost the ability to taste for 30 minutes despite using heavy cream, ice cream and vanilla yogurt in a vain effort to cleanse my palate.
I know....lol

Son of a.......

Funny OC Spray - YouTube

Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
...I want to ask this out of true curiosity, LOL. Why do you eat things so hot that they make your "lips swell," or worse? Do you really crave things this hot, or is it more like a dare, a challenge just for fun? (I know when there's a group of people, it can be fun to mess around and eat something really hot just for entertainment's sake.) But sometimes I see people eating something so hot that they're pouring sweat, eyes bulging, face turning purple, LOL. Is it really enjoyable? Again, nothing against it. I'm just curious.
It was a few years ago, and I had hurt my back to the point I was in constant pain. About that same time I had an insatiable desire for "spicy" foods - I couldn't get enough spicy food. We went to Thai restaurants and I would order "Thai Hot" (as opposed to "hot")- I also covered the food with hot condiments available at the table. This is also the time frame when I ordered the "nuclear" wings.

I even created a relish made with fresh habanero and jalapeno peppers to put on food at home. After about six weeks, my craving (and tolerance) for spicy foods went away. When I mentioned this to my doctor he said the capsaicin in the peppers was triggering an endorphin rush which was relieving the back pain.

Now I don't have near the tolerance for hot peppers I had at that time.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 PM

That one you posted was funny too! lol

Why You Should Never Ever Eat a Habanero Pepper - YouTube

Old 05-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Now lets see ya eat 16 of those bad boys without a drink like I did! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or