U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 05:15 PM

339 posts, read 290,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That sounds really good.

I want to ask this out of true curiosity, LOL. Why do you eat things so hot that they make your "lips swell," or worse? Do you really crave things this hot, or is it more like a dare, a challenge just for fun? (I know when there's a group of people, it can be fun to mess around and eat something really hot just for entertainment's sake.) But sometimes I see people eating something so hot that they're pouring sweat, eyes bulging, face turning purple, LOL. Is it really enjoyable? Again, nothing against it. I'm just curious.
I'm a daredevil and risk taker....

I got my pic on their wall, a free t-shirt and the meal was free.

No guts, no glory!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
The more you eat hot peppers, the less hot they taste. I like slices of habanero in my stir-fry, but I'm not interested in going hotter because when habaneros are no longer hot, it will be a sad day. They are so yummy.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:40 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Habaneros, though, give you a rush of heat that subsides quickly into sweetness. Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
F Needless to say, it was at a buffet and I had never had Wasabi before and mistook it for Guacamole. Have you ever taken a full heaping spoonful of Wasabi.
Sounds like Tow Mater's experience in Cars 2. LOL

Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,153,023 times
Grilled kebabs made with whole scotch bonnet peppers. They were so hot but very good. It seems that the grilling just made the peppers ever hotter.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:47 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,382,499 times
well, i dont like stuff too hot where i cant enjoy the food

i do like eating a good soup/stew with good amount of heat to where i have to have a rag nearby so i can wipe the sweat off my face and forehead and take care of my runny nose while im eating

Old 05-12-2014, 06:54 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,852,026 times
I went to a Thai restaurant in Houston, TX.

They have five levels of heat from "mild" to "Native Thai" hot. The restaurant's website mentions that no refunds are given for those that chose Native Thai and can't handle the spice. It was a warm, humid night and the building had no air condition...only several floor fans distributed throughout the dining area. The place was completely packed with people at every single table.

Once we sat down, I proudly said "Pad Thai, and make it Native Thai hot." I was so hungry that I plowed into the food. The temperature of the food was extremely hot...as was the spice. My experience eating spicy food was sufficient, that I was able to man-up and finish the huge plate; but not before drinking three glasses of water. Between the heat in the restaurant, the temperature of the food and the spiciness, I must have lost a couple of pounds.

On a side note, I once made the mistake of eating two tablespoons of African Birdseye Pepper powder....raw. It's what I imagined eating Comet mixed with cayenne is like.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:58 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Those red kung pao peppers are about as hot as I can stand it.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 PM
LLN

4,912 posts, read 8,352,677 times
I was in London, UK, with a guy from El Paso. Point is we could eat some hot. A guy, his wife's distant English relative recommends we go to an Indian place and ask for some "paan."

So we show up, tell the guys that we have been referred to their restaurant to try an off menu item called paan. Well the looks these guys exchanged should have made us run. The basically refused. My friend laid on his Tex Mex from El Paso line.

Out came I presume the manager, who finally relented.

Our wives were with us, after the stuff was ordered we noticed the wall, near our booth was done in extraordinarily accurate images of very exotic sexual positions.

We should have run, then. We did not.

Finally out came the paan. It came like a bunch of bullion cubes, stacked in a pyramid, about 5 inches tall. Brownish red.

Well we decided to be cautious so my fried (don't forget, the hot food king, from El Paso) very gently put the top cube on his plate and cut two remarkably thin slices. Very, very thin.

We picked them up, and while looking at each other put them in our mouths.

I know how I felt, but not how I looked. My brown skinned tex mex friend damn near turned Lilly white. Moisture started pouring out of him, starting immediately with his forward, his lip, then his neck. It was unbelievable to watch, knowing I was much worse.

Our wives were on the floor laughing, the wait staff was "high fiving" or whatever they did back in 1983.

The two of us just sat there, drinking water, then beer, and more beer. It took forever, to regain motor abilities, Lord knows how many beers. At least the manager paid our cab home. Needless to say, we could barely walk out of there. We never touched the remainder of the first cube, and the other cubes may still be on that table as a shrine of some sort.

Never went back, and I may not have ever crossed the Thames again after that.

Something like paan.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
Paan? That's a leaf that's wrapped around crushed betel nuts, spices, and other things. It's slightly narcotic. It's not a meal, it's a thing you chew on and spit out the juice. Maybe that's why you got puzzled looks. They tried to figure out what to do. Sounds like a real mixup. LOL It's to be chewed on after dinner.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 05-12-2014 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,673,906 times
Suicide hot wings. Not sure what the peppers were (the sauce was almost black with yellow seeds). The first and only bite just tasted like pain. Will never make that mistake again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or