U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times

Advertisements

My hottest is Haberneros. I like them but only rarely eat one plain that is my limit although I often chop one up in scrambled eggs.

I'm more of a Jalapeno person. Have a few with nearly every meal, when I can find fresh ones. Oddly the ones I find up here in ND are hotter and bigger than what I used to get in Texas.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 PM

1,865 posts, read 1,337,938 times
I ate some chili one time that came out of the microwave seconds earlier, and I think I actually "nuked" the roof of my mouth with residual cooking energy that hadn't dissapated yet.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 PM

54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My hottest is Haberneros. I like them but only rarely eat one plain that is my limit although I often chop one up in scrambled eggs.

I'm more of a Jalapeno person. Have a few with nearly every meal, when I can find fresh ones. Oddly the ones I find up here in ND are hotter and bigger than what I used to get in Texas.

I saw a video once where they took charred and diced fresh pineapple, cooked it up with brown sugar, water, and diced habaneros, (I would add a little dark rum), and served it over vanilla ice cream.

I definitely gotta try that some day.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I saw a video once where they took charred and diced fresh pineapple, cooked it up with brown sugar, water, and diced habaneros, (I would add a little dark rum), and served it over vanilla ice cream.

I will probably try it. Have to pass on the rum. but sounds good even without it.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,320,929 times
I used to have co-worker (he has since quit) but would make Ghost Pepper Hot Wings. That will definatly light you up. My lips would always swell up. We had one guy take tiny bite and he freaked out and tryed chugging chocolate milk which did not work to well, ha!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM

I remember when I was living in Mexico a friend and I used to engage in impromptu hot pepper contests. One day we decided to see who could eat the most haberneros. A youngster about 20 years begged to join in. He had never tasted one. We kept telling him "Mucho picante, es Muchisimo caliente"

He talked us into letting him try. He took one bite and ran screaming out the door.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM

13,992 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It was a few years ago, and I had hurt my back to the point I was in constant pain. About that same time I had an insatiable desire for "spicy" foods - I couldn't get enough spicy food. We went to Thai restaurants and I would order "Thai Hot" (as opposed to "hot")- I also covered the food with hot condiments available at the table. This is also the time frame when I ordered the "nuclear" wings.

I even created a relish made with fresh habanero and jalapeno peppers to put on food at home. After about six weeks, my craving (and tolerance) for spicy foods went away. When I mentioned this to my doctor he said the capsaicin in the peppers was triggering an endorphin rush which was relieving the back pain.

Now I don't have near the tolerance for hot peppers I had at that time.
Wow, very interesting.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Mexican green chili peppers
Piquin

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-12-2014 at 09:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,337,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It was a few years ago, and I had hurt my back to the point I was in constant pain. About that same time I had an insatiable desire for "spicy" foods - I couldn't get enough spicy food. We went to Thai restaurants and I would order "Thai Hot" (as opposed to "hot")- I also covered the food with hot condiments available at the table. This is also the time frame when I ordered the "nuclear" wings.

I even created a relish made with fresh habanero and jalapeno peppers to put on food at home. After about six weeks, my craving (and tolerance) for spicy foods went away. When I mentioned this to my doctor he said the capsaicin in the peppers was triggering an endorphin rush which was relieving the back pain.

Now I don't have near the tolerance for hot peppers I had at that time.
You may find this of interest - a NPR article about endorphins and one of their triggers - dihydrocapsaicin and capsaicin.

Sriracha Chemistry: How Hot Sauces Perk Up Your Food And Your Mood : The Salt : NPR

Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,280,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

That sounds incredibly delicious!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or