U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 AM
LLN

4,920 posts, read 8,404,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Paan? That's a leaf that's wrapped around crushed betel nuts, spices, and other things. It's slightly narcotic. It's not a meal, it's a thing you chew on and spit out the juice. Maybe that's why you got puzzled looks. They tried to figure out what to do. Sounds like a real mixup. LOL It's to be chewed on after dinner.
After 30 years, I may have the name wrong, but I thought it was paan...I know it was in little brown cubes and know the heat cannot be described...It may not have been paan, after all, but it was something, and that something is SEERED into my brain. If people are sitting around chewing on what we were served...well, I don't even know what to say, but RUN!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM

13,747 posts, read 11,195,352 times
hottest thing I ever eaten?

I would say this Asian woman

her papaya salad that is; hawwwt

Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,222,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
After 30 years, I may have the name wrong, but I thought it was paan...I know it was in little brown cubes and know the heat cannot be described...It may not have been paan, after all, but it was something, and that something is SEERED into my brain. If people are sitting around chewing on what we were served...well, I don't even know what to say, but RUN!!!!!
Could it have been Phall (sometimes spelled "paal")?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 PM

670 posts, read 767,282 times
The hottest thing I have ever eaten was a sauce when I was traveling in Taiwan. I think it was a mustard-type sauce, but it was so hot that I could not even actually taste the flavor...my head was just on fire and my eyes and nose started running.

If you ever have a head cold and get congested, that is one way to clear your sinuses FAST!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:13 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,476,785 times
A friend at a thai place gave me some soup once that took me a week to eat, I could only handle a few bites a day! Another gave me a ghost pepper from his garden, me and my kids all took bites and had full running tears and mucus. Most recently the same friend gave me a bite of his cheesesteak that was more jalapenos than meat, insane! I prefer horseradish heat

Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM

10,158 posts, read 9,960,225 times
My experience is nothing near what i have read. I purchased a peeper at Rositas Hamburgers for 25 cents. When i touched it to my lips they blistered. I feel for those accounts i have read.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM

441 posts, read 361,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I saw a video once where they took charred and diced fresh pineapple, cooked it up with brown sugar, water, and diced habaneros, (I would add a little dark rum), and served it over vanilla ice cream.

I definitely gotta try that some day.
That sounds HEAVENLY!

Me - back when I was a teenager, my dad grew habeneros in our garden. I didn't realize what they were and sliced them up and put them on nachos...

Flavor was off the charts, and I ate the whole damn plate. But my lips and face were swollen for days.

I still love the heat and the taste...but I have to have them incorporated in something.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:23 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,719,651 times
Some type of Habanero pepper..The hot comes slowly then kicks you in the ass..

Old 05-13-2014, 05:37 PM
LLN

4,920 posts, read 8,404,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Could it have been Phall (sometimes spelled "paal")?
Could well have been, I was hearing from Mexican guy, who was getting info from his Brit in-law. What are the chances of that getting right! THanks for the comment.

Hey, I looked it up at least this stuff has some sauce, ours were in little teeny tiny cubes:

Here is a brief abstract:

Made using eight chillies, the dish has left New York diners vomiting, crying and sweating profusely.

Some have hallucinated and two were rushed to hospital.

The paste is prepared over several hours by executive chef Praveen Pendankar, who has spent 20 years perfecting the dish.

He said: “It takes only a short time to cook.

“It seems strange something made in 10 minutes stays with you a lifetime.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...#ixzz31dd7dsY7
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Yep, sounds about right!!!

Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 PM

18,589 posts, read 3,767,081 times
Ditto the habanero pepper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or