U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
... it was something, and that something is SEERED into my brain. If people are sitting around chewing on what we were served...well, I don't even know what to say, but RUN!!!!!
Sounds like good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 PM

24,885 posts, read 11,605,138 times
Habenero pepper. Friend said he would give me $10 to eat one, and each cup of milk I wanted afterward cost me $5.
I lost $10 to that guy......bought some of those myself and over the next couple years I probably made $100. About one in 5 win the $10, the rest...lol.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Habenero pepper. Friend said he would give me $10 to eat one, and each cup of milk I wanted afterward cost me $5.
I lost $10 to that guy......bought some of those myself and over the next couple years I probably made $100. About one in 5 win the $10, the rest...lol.
I'll eat habaneros because I know how hot they are - and I can take that heat, but bhut jolokia (ghost pepper) concerns me because I have no idea how I will react to it.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,720,009 times
I used to frequent a bar where one of the bartenders was from Thailand. Sometimes she would being in food that she made and share it with the customers. Best egg rolls I've ever had. Anyway, she brings in this papaya salad which looked harmless enough, and I had some. OMG. I thought my head was going to burn clean off. She laughed and gave me some bread, which really helped to stop my mouth from burning. I've tried milk in the past, and it's never really worked that well to cool my mouth down. So, there it is, folks. Bread. Works better than anything else I've tried.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:29 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I would guess that is about the hottest I have eaten or maybe the little ones used in Asian cooking. I love hot, hot, but when it gets that hot, I can live without hot!!!

Old 05-14-2014, 04:13 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,411,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
On a side note, I once made the mistake of eating two tablespoons of African Birdseye Pepper powder....raw. It's what I imagined eating Comet mixed with cayenne is like.
Yeah, so me and my wife, newly married, used to make treks to cooking stores to buy a gadget or two. We found a place in Colorado Springs, a very small store and went inside. In the back area, where it seemed no one had ever been before (Dust and spiderwebs, picture something out of Harry Potter), I found a bag of African Bird Pepper. This was around circa 1994, so bear with my fumbling memory. I grabbed that small bag of pepper - might have been an oz or three - and made my way to the cashier.....

The cashier took a look at my prize. "Beware! Beware the African Bird Pepper!!!", she cackled in her old crone's voice. "HA! HA!", said I, as I paid for the foul powder and swept out to my 1990 Geo Prizm Hatchback.

Arriving at home, I began the preparations for chili. As everything was almost done, I slipped a small thimble full of powder in the chili. Just a pinch, really. An actual pinch, as with my fingers.

The chili was done. The smell alone encouraged my wife to say, "Ummm, no, I'm not eating that." It was delicious!!! But, oh did my eyes water! I wiped my eye with my hands. . . . . . the same hands I didn't wash after pinching that pepper.

Suddenly, I had African Bird Pepper in my eye. I started tearing up, and of course, I ran to the bathroom, (I think I was screaming/dying/hating my adventurous spirit by that time.) and splashed water into my eye.... transferring the pepper to my other eye and my nose.

After a few frantic moments of splashing - and accomplishing nothing - I sat down in the bathroom, and let the tears cleanse my face. Once I was able to see, I went into the kitchen, grabbed the bag of African Bird Pepper, and slung it outside our second floor patio. It is probably still somewhere ... lurking.... 'til this day.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:26 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,598,773 times
I am perfectly happy with a bunch of chopped jalapenos in my salsa or on my nachos, thank you very much!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,852,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Yeah, so me and my wife, newly married, used to make treks to cooking stores to buy a gadget or two. We found a place in Colorado Springs, a very small store and went inside. In the back area, where it seemed no one had ever been before (Dust and spiderwebs, picture something out of Harry Potter), I found a bag of African Bird Pepper. This was around circa 1994, so bear with my fumbling memory. I grabbed that small bag of pepper - might have been an oz or three - and made my way to the cashier.....

The cashier took a look at my prize. "Beware! Beware the African Bird Pepper!!!", she cackled in her old crone's voice. "HA! HA!", said I, as I paid for the foul powder and swept out to my 1990 Geo Prizm Hatchback.

Arriving at home, I began the preparations for chili. As everything was almost done, I slipped a small thimble full of powder in the chili. Just a pinch, really. An actual pinch, as with my fingers.

The chili was done. The smell alone encouraged my wife to say, "Ummm, no, I'm not eating that." It was delicious!!! But, oh did my eyes water! I wiped my eye with my hands. . . . . . the same hands I didn't wash after pinching that pepper.

Suddenly, I had African Bird Pepper in my eye. I started tearing up, and of course, I ran to the bathroom, (I think I was screaming/dying/hating my adventurous spirit by that time.) and splashed water into my eye.... transferring the pepper to my other eye and my nose.

After a few frantic moments of splashing - and accomplishing nothing - I sat down in the bathroom, and let the tears cleanse my face. Once I was able to see, I went into the kitchen, grabbed the bag of African Bird Pepper, and slung it outside our second floor patio. It is probably still somewhere ... lurking.... 'til this day.
That pepper is truly dangerous!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,852,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'll eat habaneros because I know how hot they are - and I can take that heat, but bhut jolokia (ghost pepper) concerns me because I have no idea how I will react to it.
Ghost peppers are on a different level. I remember making Chicken Tikka Masala back in college. Typically it's a creamy dish with low to moderate spice; depending on the cook's taste. I marinated the chicken in garam masala, ginger and cayenne. Later I dropped some Serrano peppers into the dish, and it gave the dish a nice flavor.

Being Mr. Bigshot, I wasn't satisfied with the spice level. I had a bottle of ghost pepper hot sauce and put in 3 or 4 drops. The dish went from low-moderate heat to nearly inedible. Needless to say it took several days to finish the pot because I could only eat a small plate at a time.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:56 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
Just curious, I notice that when I lived in the tropics my tolerance for spicy foods greatly increased. But now that I am up her in North Snowkota, my tolerance has dropped.

Don't know if it is because of climate change or just a sign of getting older.

Either way Jalapenos are now the hottest I can eat in comfort.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or